Wednesday 8 July 2020

Alright, but no singing


You may remember me saying that I occasionally buy a few candles from Charles Farris - the ecclesiastical suppliers - because the are very reasonably priced and really good quality. Minimal drips etc, even in draughts.

Given that they supply candles to chapels, churches, monasteries and cathedrals all over Britain (and probably to all the far-flung outposts of the whole of Christendom), I am not what you could call their best customer, but in the true spirit of Christianity they treat me as an equal regardless of my position in the hierarchy of the Anglican Church. I am on their mailing list.

I have been offered some very attractive package deals involving various models of foot operated and wall-mounted hand sanitisers starting at £105 (a saving of £23.19) and going up to £395 (a saving of £24.50). That one has wheels.

I have been very tempted with the foggers on offer too. The biggest will sanitise a large cathedral and has the liquid carried in a back-pack so you can wander around vast spaces freely, but I can't justify it for our compact but adorable city apartment.

Bath Abbey is open for quite prayer or contemplation now and cricket has resumed so long as the players don't spit on their balls. Do that and you lose 5 runs.

I finally replaced the stone lions at Iford Manor yesterday and the man who helped me with the huge forklift put on a rubber carbon filter canister mask before he began.

I asked him if he was worried about diesel fumes, but he said it was for Covid.

For the first time in about 6 months I had completely forgotten about Covid 19. I can't tell you how refreshing that was, but when I remembered the old anxiety came right back and I worried about how close I had got to the others that day. It was nice while it lasted.

23 comments:

  1. I think I will stick to my occasional little jar of sweet-smelling candle from the local gift shop - cinnamon at the moment.

    Glad the lions are back where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite of buy a scented candle in the winter. Some of them are really expensive.

      Delete
  2. There are three big foot-pump operated hand washing stations outside of my local grocery store. They are rented from the same company that supplies porta-potties. It must have felt refreshing to forget about the current situation for a while. It's easier to do in a rural setting, I think. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must save the catalogue for posterity! It'll be like a Mad Magazine advert for x-ray specs in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's online - no paper. I used to buy Confederate money from Mad magazine.

      Delete
  4. Those foggers sound just the thing to make sure no one comes near you in crowds. You'd have Weston-super-Mare all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all the same... our nonchalance about the virus evaporates once outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear that the lions have arrived at their home

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forget on a daily basis, too. Even with a mask in my house, in my car and in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I've left the house forgetting to put mask on numerous times already. The forgetting-remembering Covid is a weird loop to be stuck in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the impression that most people in Berlin have forgotten Covid - as in the Nineteen- Twenties they dance as in a frenzy (no - that is just a picture - but the very daft ones, and there are lots of them, make rubber-raft-parties on the Landwehr-Kanal, really many hundreds of them --- well, well, well, my little Droogies..)
    I am glad to forget, by I do not forget my mask. It helps that I think it suits me :-)
    Work makes forget - so lovely that the lions are back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone under 30 is just ignoring it here now.

      Delete
  10. I should think they could work the foggers in as incense in the Church. The few times i was in a service where those giant censors were used, i got headaches.

    I'm in a Covid scared crazy band but not far north of me, no one is required to wear masks, and few do. So i just go north to do the bulk of my shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I forget for a while until I drive past the queue of shoppers waiting to go into Tesco. Then it all comes flooding back, like a nightmare version of Groundhog Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget until a health food shop worker comes running up to me screaming, CAN I HELP YOU??!!

      Delete