Thursday 4 June 2020

Share my window box - again


Let me take you on an informal tour of my window-box. The Night-Scented Stock is doing very well this year don't you think? We are hoping that there will be another spell of very warm evenings to coincide with the flowering. I imagine that Heaven smells like that all the time.

Nobody can see any distance into the future right now, but then again nobody ever could. As they say, life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans.

I like to think of those 18th century biographical fictions involving the hectic and eventful lives of young men like Tom Jones and Barry Lyndon. Right the way through the books it seems likely that they will end up on the gallows but, in a final twist amongst many, they are given land, a title and the most beautiful woman in the county. Funny how things turn out.

In reality, the vast majority would - if they were spared the rope - end up in a penal colony on the other side of the world for stealing a loaf of bread. Jane Austin's aunt came very close to being sent to Australia for being falsely convicted of stealing a yard of blue ribbon from a haberdasher in Bath.

Talking of bright futures, if you believe the briefings, Britain has a 'world beating' testing system with a capacity of blah blah numbers per day. You can tell by the language they use that they are still treating the whole business as a propaganda/damage-limitation exercise for the Conservative party, despite the gravity of the situation.

'World beating'? Who said it was a competition? Bill Gates has been treating the vaccination programs of his foundation  as a world wide project for years. He understands that we will get nowhere without global cooperation. Currently, he is my hero amongst the whole bunch of miserable career politicians faffing about on the periphery of the biggest catastrophe to hit the world in a century.

24 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad your window box is doing better than last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you in on my secret. Fertiliser. Don't tell anyone else at the flower and produce show.

      Delete
  2. When I read today's title I thought exactly as the veg artist says above. They certainly look healthy. Every year I mean to buy a packet of seeds and scatter them around - every year I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell you my secret but don't tell the veg artist: fertiliser.

      Delete
  3. Well take comfort from the fact that poor America seems to be in a worse state than us. We are run by idiots who seem to think we swallow all their nonsense. They would do themselves and us a kindness if they all just shut up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And yours are armed idiots who still think they should use the military against you.

      Delete
  4. That's a world beating window box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think it would win a gold at the Chelsea Flower Show.

      Delete
  5. The "Dispatches" programme on TV last night about how the government has handled the Corvid crisis from beginning to date, was an eye opener of ditherings, cock-ups and doing everything too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to hide from those conclusions but they try.

      Delete
    2. It showed that the government were definitely following the science - when they chose to and not until they absolutely had to, which was unfortunately too late for so many people.

      Delete
    3. And only the scientists prepared to adhere to their policies, no matter how daft or vague. Twats.

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to imagine what miracle of refurbishment one would achieve with a yard of blue ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice choice of flowers for the window box.

    Its being used as propaganda, thinking of their jobs not our lives...and of money...and hiding that they wanted a nodeal B word from the start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They couldn't run a corner shop, let alone UK PLC.

      Delete
  8. Your plants look very fine! And when they are in full bloom the night scent will be wonderful.
    Here in the Netherlands I think of my balcony and hope that the neighbour boys have done their watering job well (especially the roses which are in full bloom, and all the other ones -- it was so hot the last week that I am a wee bit concerned.... Hope that I mustn't water them with tears...)
    At least I see if the 4 boxes I bought for geraniums etc, which have a highly praised water-tank (should last for 2 week) will really work out their promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you write, Tom. You also made a lovely planter. I have never had luck with planting Stock, but you are doing wonderful job with it.

    If I was to compare the inadequacies of Boris to our Nazi leader, there would be no contest. Trump is definitely the worst human being ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jair Bolsonaro would have an opinion about that, I dare say. He hates to be outdone in any poll.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful result with the window box this year!Won't tell anybody about the fertilizer bit. Even Prince Charles would be a little bit jealous if he saw this. Highgrove Garden? Pffffrrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles is organic. My fertiliser was not. No three feathers badge for me. Dig for victory...

      Delete
  11. Dig for victory, indeed. That's reaching way back. That garden box is beautiful and I hope you have the perfect atmosphere for the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that a gentle zephyrs waft inward on warm Summer nights.

      Delete