Sunday 29 March 2020

Nuclear families

Apparently Boris is going to write to about 35 million households in the country warning that he will not hesitate to make the lock-down stricter if advised to do so by the experts. I hope he washes his hands before putting pen to paper.

I think Spain and Italy have a system whereby you download a certificate from a government website which you present to police or store security, and I think it is a signed declaration that you are free of symptoms. If we do adopt a similar system I hope that it will not be on a 'one trip per week' basis, partly because we do not have a freezer, but mainly because I think it will, in effect, cause another bout of panic-buying.

Also, I know many people who do not own a printer, and of those who do I know many who never have any ink for it. I suppose the form could arrive on your phone as an app, but that will not help the thousands of technophobes who do not have smartphones. It's going to be tricky.

Living so close to our supermarket I normally shop daily. Unlike people who live out of town, we are not set up to do weekly shops. Oh well, it will have to be alright no matter what happens.

I will go to the rural workshop today, and I will continue to go out there for as long as they let me. Being on my own I am doing no harm to others. I see many families (from a safe distance) going for walks in the country nearby, and that is a positive thing. Dad's home, mum's home, the kids are home and the dog needs walking. I think that will continue for quite a long time afterwards.

19 comments:

  1. If you saw the state my freezer gets in you would know that if I lived next to the shops I would shop daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dress up warm, your workshop will be cold and take care. Love from your blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised how few packets of peas and beans and salmon go into the two (more lone&a half) drawers of my combi fridge&freezer. I prefer fresh food - but of course: it would be quite nice to have a few supplies. Over three days I ate the rolls (they took away much space), so it is a bit better.
    Near my apartment there are enough supermarkets - so I go there (mummed) once a week to buy something fresh. I hope those vitamines keep corona at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest shop is a 12 mile round trip so I do my shopping online. Delivery slots are a thing of the past. But I've got brilliant neighbours in the barn conversions across the road and a loving family so I've got everything. Keep busy in your workshop and to both you and H.I. keep safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been forbidden by youngest daughter to leave the house. She says she's far too busy to organise my funeral, so I'll just have to avoid infection just yet.
    I've plenty of dried beans but found myself dreaming about the French onion sellers of '50s Glasgow streets last night… In fact, I'm just dreaming about food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is dreaming about food right now, and youngest are having nightmares about funeral costs. I tell them to opt for a pauper's one for me. They won't be able to attend it anyway!

      Delete
  6. I was just chatting with my friend in LDN & she sort of echoed your sentiments. She doesn't have a printer at home (it seems that many folk don't), so to have to download a form for many just would not work.

    We've nothing like what Spain & Italy seem to have adopted yet. One is still able to go out to the shops 'as is', if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are so distracted now that the ones who are driving are driving very dangerously. Even I hit a Polish taxi driver's car in a supermarket car park the other day. He wanted £300 but eventually settled for £100. I was distracted and eventually distraught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you walk to the store, what did you use to hit the taxi? Just asking.
      Ditto Rachel's sentiment.

      Delete
    2. I was going to a different supermarket (with a car park) in a fruitless search for toilet roll!

      Delete
  8. Reading some of the England blogs, I feel your authorities are closing in a bit tighter. Or maybe it is over here, we have sooooooooo many indians and absolutely no chiefs. Dr. Fauci has been let back into the voice of reason room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are only a week in to the new rules and tensions are beginning to develop between law abiding citizens, curtain-twitchers and the police. I will be writing about it in a minute.

      Delete
  9. Take care Tom, keep warm. Unsure of what stage lockdown you are in yet. I'm in my element really but I worry about my mum. Been doing the shopping for her and will start help with other deliveries on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules are a little unclear right now, but the simple message is stay indoors, work from home if you can and only go out for groceries or exercise. Our parliament has shut down without setting up a virtual equivalent, so rules are being made up day by day by civil servants and the police and citizens have to interpret them in any way they can. I foresee tensions which are getting higher becoming higher still, and it's only week one.

      Delete
  10. I used to like going to the supermarket a couple of times a week on the way home. I have though been watching the news since the new year, and stocked my cupboards with a few extra packets of noodles and rice and tins of soup, so have a few supplies. That way i can limit my supermarket stops to only once a week or fortnight for some bread and fresh fruit and veg.

    Our supermarkets in NZ have become very strict with only buying a max of 2 of the same items to stop hoarding, and sending lots of messages of people to shop normally and hoarding wont be tolerated.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete