Friday 27 March 2020

Counting my blessings


Taking exercise and fresh air at a remote location. Avus just mentioned Stukeley when I found this.

I heard a policeman (who was primarily on to comment about the large numbers of people in the Peak District) saying that the reason that driving should be avoided is to prevent the possibility of large numbers of people being forced to come into contact with each other in the event of an accident. I had not thought of that. I shall take even greater care when getting to my workshop a few miles distant.

It has also occurred to me that even though I have worked out a system whereby I can move these large and heavy objects on my own at my workshop, it is still a dangerous procedure, so I think they will stay where they are until I can enlist some help with the lifting and shifting. Oh well, I am far better off than many others. They have been sitting around for almost 300 years already, so a few more weeks - or months? - will not matter. I will have to request an interim payment from the client.

It seems that next week will see us returning to a few days of wind and rain. That might be of some comfort to the unfortunates who are couped-up in the shadows of their flats whilst trying to entertain their toddlers 24/7, but then again the sun makes such a positive difference even seen through a window.

When I think about it, my social life has changed very little since this whole thing developed. Do you think it is sad that it consisted solely of going to the pub for an hour after work? I often asked myself that question. I am not really a party animal - I never was - so this has proved to be good grounding for the weeks to come.

A friend of the same age as me tried to volunteer for the newly formed National Help Service the other day and was turned down because of his age.

Others are making many more sacrifices than me. I am lucky. Every day I realise how lucky I am.

12 comments:

  1. We are really lucky ..... can you imagine being homeless !
    Don’t think it’s sad about the pub being your major social event each day for an hour. As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters and, it’s not really true as you have all of your extended family that you see ( when we’re not in lockdown ! ) .... and, many people of our age are retired so we are used to finding things to do. Hope you are all OK and don’t go lifting heavy objects ( oooer missus ) XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. My social life has been zero for years. I feel happy and lucky too, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fortunate to be living in a more rural setting. I am also fortunate not to be still working in tight quarters with many other people. Others do not have a choice. Everyone in my family is healthy. That's my primary concern. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't lift those heavy objects, Tom - I tried it two days ago on my balcony, putting heavy balcony pots on the ground, as they foretold frost --- well well well - for two days I moved very cautiously and took painkillers just to stop it to form a habit of spasm -- and thought: Am I mad?
    To be alone in such a situation: very bad. Though the Dutch braveheartedly offered help - and, I am happy to say: not necessary this time.
    I think of all the others "out there" (this term gets a very different connotation) who fear losing their jobs, of the owners of little restaurant with no guests, and, as Jackie said: the homeless. Very, very bad.
    I hope the situation will change soon - though as all others I know that it will take a long road "back to normal." (Which wasn't normal in all points...)
    Keep safe, stay healthy, you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, don’t take unnecessary chances. Surely your client will understand?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Cro's brilliant remark when I commented on his post about him going on the roof to fix a tile by mentioning I had been up a ladder pointing some brickwork. He said to take note of all the cautionary comments so that I could ignore them too. Probably applies here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had thought about the possibility of an accident bringing disparate groups of people together while driving back from the market yesterday. Going less to the market is optimum. Keep being lucky and healthy! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That accident idea hadn't occurred to me either To. And yes, in many ways we are still among the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life on the outside will shortly become impossible if this carries on. We'll all have become pale, sluggish and sofa-shaped.
    I'm already nodding off during the evening news...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will respond to you all tomorrow. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how England stands in the statistics, but I saw the numbers for this country today and thought "Holy cwap, we're all in for it on this one!" So don't hurt yourself moving block after all the sensible precautions you have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll just add my voice to all this advice about not moving stuff.

    ReplyDelete