Sunday 23 February 2020

I cannot find the four tortoises


The bloke who died in his home made, steam-powered rocket on an American desert yesterday was a flat-earther.

His stated intention for building the rocket was to go into space and prove that the Earth is, indeed, flat. I may be gullible, but I thought that NASA had already established the shape of the Earth beyond  reasonable doubt way back in the 1960s. I believe they have a few photos which show that the Earth is, like the Moon, spherical. There must be more going on here than meets the eye. If it's a joke, it's a very old one.

Perhaps the flat Earth theory is more philosophical or religious than scientific? (Note the upturn in my voice at the end of that sentence).

I began to doubt myself as the morning wore on, so I went to Google to find a decent snap of our home planet, which is the one I have used here. It looks spherical to me.

Maybe he was going to photograph it edge-on? Why didn't NASA ever try that?

9 comments:

  1. She looks beautiful. The Earth. Good job you can't see humans though.....they fuck everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flat-earther, in the words of Bugs Bunny, was an ultra-maroon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I believe he was suicidal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a virus which enters peoples' brains and encourages them to take up extreme sports. Apparently they do well by parasitising potential corpses.

      Delete
  4. The world is flat, and resting on the backs of four elephants who, in turn, stand upon the back of a giant, space-faring turtle. Welcome to Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

    I wonder we don't yet have a "religion" believing all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if we did...

      Delete
    2. Ah, no wonder I could see the tortoises.

      Delete