Tuesday 31 December 2019

Looking up


I find myself walking around town like a tourist these days, looking up to see architectural details which I either had not fully appreciated in the 47 years I have lived here, or had not noticed at all.

At Step Daughter's house the other night, she asked me why I kept looking at the modern chandelier in the living room. I explained that my neck condition was getting worse and I have to regularly  counteract the tendency for my chin to rest on my chest while I still can, even though it is beginning to become the most comfortable position when I am up and awake. I also have to curtail the urge to inspect the pavement as I walk along streets, hence the late-flowering appreciation of high altitude Georgian architecture.

I was known for looking up when I was younger, but that was the early days after the introduction of the resident Peregrine Falcons. If it wasn't a search for birds it was for celestial bodies, but they are in the sky. It hurts too much to spend any longer then a few seconds looking up at the sky, so this is why I have set my sights a little lower of late.

Over Christmas, H.I. and I have taken to sitting somewhere in town, just watching people. To stay indoors would just exacerbate the cabin fever. Christmas day was beautifully still and sunny and the square was full of foreigners looking up at those bits of architecture while their children chased pigeons. No matter which country they are from, all kids chase pigeons.

Yesterday we sat in the Abbey Square to watch pigeon-chasers and their parents. A young woman ran diagonally across it, cutting a path through the tourists as she screamed, "CHRISTINE! CHRISTINE!"  in blind panic. "OH FUCK!"

I thought she may have lost a child, but it turned out that her friend was just about to miss the coach back to London. I have dreams like that, where I am in a foreign town in a foreign country, I've lost H.I., I cannot remember the name or location of our hotel and my mobile phone does not work.

A man in a black hat began setting up a keyboard, stool and amplifier in the middle of the square and I wondered whether or not he was going to be any good, in the ten minutes it took him to do it. There are many truly awful buskers in Bath. It turned out he was classically trained.

His first tune began with tinkling up and down the scale before the theme to 'The Snowman' emerged, and for some reason I almost cried. I have been close to tears for days now. It is very exhausting.


35 comments:

  1. I grinned at your comment about kids chasing pigeons. Here, usually at the a beach setting, kids chase seagulls. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who don't look up miss a lot of architectural and social detail including washing hanging high out of windows indicating habitation where it night not have been expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some small windows which haven't been spotted for about 300 years.

      Delete
  3. I often used to look up at the beautiful windows above shops in Brighton. I imagine these were flats, but they were invariably empty. Such windows; such waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always pays to look up otherwise you can miss so much. When I have been to Bath I have sometimes asked visitors right outside the Abbey if they have noticed the heavenly host of beautiful angels ascending and descending the heavenly ladders. They all say no - it is an exquisite piece of stone sculpture missed out by many people by not looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some old people remember the sculptor who carved them for the restoration.

      Delete
  5. It's been an emotional roller coaster year and many of us have been close to tears or on a short fuse, one way or another.
    Happy New Year and let's hope that things turn out not as badly as we expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People cry when I sing. Happy New Year Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look up loads when walking around San Francisco. Folk have often asked me where I'm from. My reply: Here.

    People-watching is underrated, in my opinion.

    Happy New Year, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all from here eh? Happy new year to you too.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit down. Damn holidays can do that. You are one of my favorite bloggers, love your humor and snark. Hope you have a happy and healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May your new year be filled with remarkable new/old sights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to a good new year.
    People watching is fascinating, surmising what they are doing or thinking!
    With looking above shop level you wonder how or why they put such awful shop fronts on beautiful buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The market has destroyed some beautiful buildings.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Tom, so many deleted blogs, back to your Badger, colored by artistic artisans, under your direction.
    I hope you have your neck attended to, one of these days.
    Now I will appropriate Carolyn's words. You are one of my favorite bloggers, love your humor and snark. You have a good new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Tom. I've been bawling all morning. Better out than in really. If I look up I end up on the ground having tripped over something. Sorry your neck is giving you shit. Bloody joints eh. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always been a looker-upper but it tends to be a bit dangerous the older I get !!!!
    Happy, happy New Year to you, H.I and all of your family ...... I wish you all a very happy and healthy 2020 . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Snark' - what a great word, and it suits you. Well, usually it does, but not in your present low mood. 2019 was a rough year and I'm sad that it got to you. (Think how I feel, I'm represented by Little Lord Snooty in parliament!) I hope that 2020 will be a much happier affair and that you will soon be back on sparkling good form.
    All the best, Cher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how your refined and learned friends would take to being on the receiving end of your snarking. It is so lovely isn't it to be praised for your snarking here. Gives you great encouragement to carry on no doubt.

      Delete
    2. I don't even know what it means.

      Delete
  15. Looking up is good to do. A social experiment - look up in a crowded square, perhaps even point and watch everyone else do the same. Seems to be a primal reaction to drop bears.
    It's been a rocky year all round yes. MrsC got it right, better out than in. Happy New things Tom. It's always a pleasure to drop in here. X Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking up and pointing is a very Jacque Tati thing to do. Happy new things to you too.

      Delete