Friday 1 November 2019

England


Knowing I had no work to do today (apart from all the things I have been putting-off for years) I stayed up until 3.30am drinking wine. I'm not proud of it, I just thought I would mention it. My weak  condition may colour this post, but at least I awoke in the knowledge that our Prime Minister has no criminal record.

I have a plan to watch the rugby at 9.00am tomorrow morning. To do this I will have to go to bed a bit before 3.30. In one way I (along with the rest of the country) am hoping England will win, but if they do the victory will have a couple of adverse knock-on effects for the country in general and Bath in particular.

Bath Rugby - along with estate agents - dominate this city. It seems that they can do no wrong, but their insidious acquisition of acres of prime city-centre land belonging to 'the people' (whoever they are) does not strike me as particularly right.

They have an unbelievably audacious plan to build a stadium to replace the one which already exists which will be as tall as the neighbouring buildings at one end of the pitch. It will block the view of half of the hillside for anyone at ground level on Grand Parade.

Of course, they stand very little chance of getting it past the planners, but probably have an alternative plan for a slightly more acceptable version already drawn up. It's what you have to do these days, but it is usually done with privately owned land, not publicly owned green spaces donated to the citizens for recreational use. If England win, their scheme will go through the planning stage that much quicker.

An England victory will also give a boost to the Farage and Johnson election campaigns which neither of them deserve. Donald Trump had a very chummy public chat with Nigel Farage yesterday on his radio show. He can see his prize getting ever closer as Britain tears itself out of Europe. It could be the deal of a lifetime. Maybe Putin could get involved too?

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No, I been up for hours. 2 hours.

      Delete
    2. You have a vivid imagination on what is resting on the result of a rugby match. I was unaware of these things, or the rugby match at all come to that.

      Delete
    3. Well they exist. Some are stronger than others. A recession is the strongest in terms of political influence.

      Delete
    4. Well they lost quite badly. At one point the England crowd began chanting, 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn...'

      Delete
  2. Hope they play Jerusalem instead of GSTQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Rule Brittania might be more appropriate - I have a friend who has flown out to Japan just because England are in the final.I am going to a Coffee Morning and by the time I get back it will all be over and hopefully I shall know nothing about it until then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Weave. If they play Rule Britannia it should be after a successful outcome. I liked someone's idea of counteracting the NZ haka with Morris Dancing.

      Delete
  4. I'm an LBC listener, and could hardly believe what I was hearing. What a scoop for Nigel. I found the whole session amusing, and reasonably revealing. I do hope Trump wasn't telling fibs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing is being run on hopes like that.

      Delete
  5. Well Trump's approval should be the kiss of death for Boris and Nigel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think so, but history seems to show otherwise.

      Delete
  6. The best team won the game....and behaved well afterwards....unlike all but one of the losing team. Very sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I only watched one game so I don't know about the rest of what you say.

      Delete
  7. Listening to Farage and Trump chatting it up on the radio must have been ghastly.

    ReplyDelete