Saturday 12 October 2019

I eat to live, and vice versa


In this period of enforced idleness I find myself looking forward to dinner just after I have finished breakfast. Food seems to have become almost important to me as it is to some of you.

I used to wonder why so many retired old people ate so much and so often. I mean, it wasn't as if they burned it all off with hard physical labour. H.I.'s older sister used to begin preparing the next meal for her son and husband as soon as the washing-up from the last was done, and was astounded when I offered to help with it.

In my youth I used to often go right through the day forgetting to eat anything, but now I find myself planning breakfast (nothing elaborate) whilst lying in bed. Lunch is a sandwich. I still find it hard to understand people who sit down with knives and forks after their family has grown up and left home, but I do find myself planning dinner when I am still in the pub.

And then there are hobbies.

H.I. was studiously at her latest painting yesterday as I sat in a chair watching her. She is making a larger version of the above one. Chickens. I like it.

I was so bored that I decided to have a bit of fun with her.

"So," I casually asked, "Are you enjoying your little hobby?"

I know how to wind her up every time, but it's dangerous to do it too often.

20 comments:

  1. My husband tells me that he eats to live, while I live to eat. He's thin and I'm fat! And we're old...
    I love the chickens!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some of H.I's paintings before and all of them have something magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the painting. I am sure she is used to your wind ups by now,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it almost impossible to plan a meal until I am actually hungry. I like the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People say to never shop for food when you are hungry, but that is not true. I cannot food-shop unless I am.

      Delete
  5. You like to live dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I like as quiet a life as possible.

      Delete
  6. That illustration is quite delightful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illustration??!! You are even better at insulting her than I am.

      Delete
  7. I like her chickens, too. I can often get distracted by the day and forget to eat but then there are times when it seems like I'm eating around the clock. Always good to keep surprising your body!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get out of bed to eat breakfast. The rest are on their own.
    I do like the chickens, and the white hen is so pert, it was madness to bait their maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked the idea of breakfast in bed. I like tables. If I really want to get to her, I say "That is very effective."

      Delete
  9. I dig her piece with chickens and tree. Better to plan your next meal than to try and wind H.I. up, I should think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never forget to eat. It's a miracle I'm not 20 Stone!

    ReplyDelete