Tuesday 1 October 2019

Heaven's Gate


The edge of the Longleat estate woodland - or one tiny part of the vast area. This is the side which runs a timber yard, hence the relatively young conifers.


People have parties up here. I am guessing that this one was a big one ending in a zero, unless it was to celebrate a child yet to be born.


The path leads to 'Heaven's Gate' and this is why. Down there you can see the home of the Marquis of Bath. It is also the home of dozens of assorted animals from many different countries.


Looking away from Heaven's Gate is this crude arrangement of stones, some worked, most not. Somehow it reminds me of something...

I should really get a better camera if I am going to do picture-heavy posts. My old iPhone just isn't up to it.

Mushrooms? Oh yes. I found five small Chanterelles and one Hedgehog mushroom of the same size. My delight in finding them was disproportionate to their nutritional value. This is only the second time in many years I have found Chanterelles in this area and the third Hedgehogs. Of Ceps/Porcini/Penny Buns there were none, but the season has only just begun.

For me, mushrooming is like fishing. The activity is more important than its successfulness. Finding or catching anything is a bonus.

I spoke to two South African women, one lone English woman who was so nervous she left the path to circumnavigate me by 20 feet (I forced a 'hello' out of her, brute that I am), three dogs and several thousand trees.

I surprised a young middle aged couple who had evidently just met (I am guessing this was an online date: ... I like walks in the country and pubs with real fires...) by coming out of the bushes just as they were eating each other's faces on the path which they obviously thought they shared with no other. He had a sweatshirt with the word LOVE written on the front in 8 inch-high, white letters.

I found a shrine in the hollow of a large tree with a bunch of withered flowers and a heart-shaped mirror which read, 'Heaven has a beautiful new angel  - MUM' in white print. This is the third such shrine I have found in the area over the years. I think it is a popular place for suicide. 'Heaven's Gate' and all that.

I'll be back.

19 comments:

  1. I find walkers are mainly friendly and say hello. If they don't respond to my greeting I often say please yourself then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I do under those circumstances is to turn around and shout FUCK YOU!!! at the top of my voice. I sometimes forget that I am not driving a car.

      Delete
  2. I like this post and I like eating chantarelles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to understand why you only get about three comments per post.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kissing gate. Snogging gate. Stinky finger stile...

      Delete
  4. A completely satisfying walk, in my estimation. At the appearance of the second "o", I probably would have begun a game of: being in the wood, enjoying a second childhood, no fool am I, collecting memories for my book.
    Well, you get it. Glad you'll go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I get it, but I always have an eye out for the second O.

      Delete
  5. The post is so beautiful, and the pictures too, I take pictures on my iPhone 5 and I think everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but some people take such good pictures here that I feel ashamed about showing mine.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Don't worry about the (o)s. I'd rather just sense your visitation if you have no words.

      Delete
    2. I've jut seen how many blogs you follow. Now I understand how you may be bit pressed for time.

      Delete
    3. Ok, you know you are on the list! What is sad sometimes is those who just stop..and when you have built up a rapport, even if just on-line, it leaves you wondering are they ok...or just bored with blogging! Sometimes people pick up a blog and recommence writing, so I've left them on the list. Which makes the list much longer than those who actually still blog

      Delete
    4. A lot of people have disappeared over the years, it's true.

      Delete
  7. Such a pinkish hue in the wood! Your photos are just fine. I've finally come around to their usefulness as cameras, but you have to take about twenty shots of the same thing until a good one happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is important to clean the tiny lens screen before taking pictures. My old phone is very inadequate, but some feature films have been shot using new iPhones recently. The chips in those have amazing resolution.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a 'Stargate' from an old, but enjoyable at the time, TV series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the big circle is the only worked stone on the whole thing. The rest are just plonked.

      Delete