Monday 30 September 2019

Mushroom therapy


I am having an enforced break right now, as all my scheduled work keeps being pushed further forward into the future. If I thought I was living from day to day before, I now realise that I did, indeed, have a plan after all. Not much of a plan, but a plan nevertheless.

Just after I left college I was taking dead-end little jobs in ghastly factories and building sites, and in between these I sometimes had brief spells on the dole. During these times, the weekends were the only time that I didn't feel guilty. On Saturdays and Sundays I was on the same level as everyone else, until someone asked me what I did for a living.

I am surprised - and slightly depressed - that I feel the exact same sense of guilt at not working during the week as I did all those years ago, and I look forward to weekends again for the same, furtive reasons. That is silly at my age, but it seems I didn't quite get rid of my work ethic as I thought I had.

I had a dream last night that I heard my client had commissioned a large conservation company to repair and conserve some Egyptian stone artefacts which had been stored badly on the estate and which needed immediate attention. I called up various managers and almost begged them to let me do the work as I desperately needed it (I have actually done this in the recent past).

Having checked with the client, they called back and said that I could do the job after all, so swallowing my pride I went to the estate to take them away for restoration.

What I found when I got there were several life-sized human torsos made from a stone which was so ravaged by the passage of time that I doubted if I could ever repair them at all. I hoped they would not fall apart when I picked them up, but when I went to lift them I found that I did not have the strength to get them even an inch off the ground. I had to give up. For the first time in my life I had failed at a job on all levels. Then I woke up.

As I keep telling everyone else, things can change in an instant. It would only take one well paid job on an important and valuable artefact to make me feel as though I am not, after all, on the scrap-heap, but darkness eccentuates all the little negatives.

Today I am going to drive to a large wood and go on my first mushroom hunt of the season.

22 comments:

  1. Hope your mushroom therapy helps Tom. I have periods of such feelings and they are hard to dispel. I am sure it would help if I could have a good walk with Tess - sadly legs won't allow it - very frustrating. Keep up the therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent in nature is indeed good therapy. I should take my own advice. It's interesting how we work through our problems / fears / issues in our dreams. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think trees are especially helpful. They communicate with each other chemically, and I think we sometimes eavesdrop.

      Delete
    2. Eavesdropping on the trees is a worthwhile pursuit.

      Delete
  3. A few years back before my O/H became ill, he was a self employed blacksmith/welder and highly skilled. During the winter months many times the work would 'dry up' and it would floor him. Then he would have a commission from a 'well-to-do' farmer and things were OK. Tom, believe in yourself. I believe in you and wish you well in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you Moll. It has always been like this in the past, so I expect it will carry on like this.

      Delete
  4. I have my first mushroom sortie earmarked for Friday. I am reasonably confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got 5 chanterelles and one hedgehog (mushroom).

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The season for the magic ones has come to an end now, but I don't think I would pick them anymore anyway!

      Delete
  6. You failed to restore the golden age of Ozymandias. Oh well, better send for Jacob, Nigel and Boris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too believe things can change in the moment, and wish you all for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life can turn on a dime, Tom. Let's just hope for it and keep on the path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am prone to panicking, but sometimes I don't panic soon enough.

      Delete
  9. May your foraging be successful. I have never learnt to forage mushrooms, just fruit and nuts. Hope the squirrels have left you some hazels to go with the mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good year for hazels but a bad one for chestnuts. With mushrooming, if you are not sure, don't eat it.

      Delete
    2. As they say all fungi are edible....some only once....

      Delete
    3. A friend of mine sent me a photo of a mushroom and asked about it. He found an abundance of the deadliest mushrooms in Britain. The name contains the word 'death', which is a bit of a clue.

      Delete