Friday 23 August 2019

A tourist in your own town


There has been an almost imperceptible turn in the air today. It began with mist on the hills, meaning that this August Bank Holiday promises to include a last blast of Summer heat before the scents of Autumn begin to drift into town.

I love it when we get back from a scorching holiday in somewhere like Cordoba to find that our arrival coincides with the gentle let-down of a September Indian Summer.

In the right weather conditions, the smell of cooking bacon wafts up from the next-door deli, and when the warmth of the pavement creates an updraft against the facade of the house, you can actually make out the individual scents of every person walking past, 40 feet down in the street below.

Every woman or girl wears their favourite perfume and I find myself appreciating each one. I am normally very fussy about perfume, but I can forgive Ambre Solaire every time, just for reminding me of past holidays by the sea.

The coach-loads of Spanish, Italian and French schoolchildren have been replaced by their grandparents now, and they mingle in the streets with British children still out from school. I love tourists. They remind me of being a tourist myself.

Being in the moment can include looking to the future but without making plans. It is also allowed to recall the past if that helps too. There are no rules.

I am looking forward to Autumn.

24 comments:

  1. I was waiting for you to mention the mists and mellow fruitfulness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hot here and the roads are full, I've been out, and the farmers are finishing the wheat harvest which has been held up by rain. I like good weather and agree with your second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good Summer. I even liked the rain.

      Delete
  3. You sound very ‘ up ‘ today. Ambre Soleil has bought back memories of holidays in Spain in my teenage years ..... as does that purple drink Parfait Amore !!!! The transition of late Summer to early Autumn is a lovely time. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not particularly up. Just looking forward to the weekend.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post, i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm particularly looking forward to October 29th; just to see if the world will end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it will take them a couple of months to throw you out of France.

      Delete
  6. I love your laid back post today Tom - just how I imagine you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once asked a girlfriend if she had been using TCP. Turned out ot was Givenchy III.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one modern perfume that smells exactly like cheese and chives to me.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy tourists as well for the very same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in a town which emptied in the Summer. It was awful.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. You go to bed about 6 hours after us so you are excused.

      Delete