Saturday 6 July 2019

Good night

I ought to show you how the Night-Scented Stock seedlings are faring since I took your advice about feeding them. They are going to be a little stunted, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. If they grow tall they tend to flop backwards over the ledge in a swoon and the scent gets carried away to some other lucky person's nostrils.

This year I have put the kebab sticks pointing upwards because the gulls and pigeons they are supposed to fend off have become a lot more pushy since their food source has been cut down by increasingly efficient rubbish collection. They will only land on them once, but I do believe they recognise a pointy stick from a distance when they see one.

Funny I should use kebab sticks. The gulls' main food source these days is the discarded kebab refuse strewn around the streets by drunks at 3.00 a.m. I don't mind the odd doner kebab - so long as I know who the doner was.

Up North they have a good name for those huge lumps of revolving, pre-cast, salty, mechanically reclaimed meat by-products dripping with grease: 'Pensioner's Leg'.

A good kebab can be very good, but not in this country. Near the university at one gate of the huge market in old Istanbul there is a little street kebab seller who does good trade. H.I. and I had one pretty much every lunchtime. One day I decided to choose the type favoured by the rough-looking, moustachioed locals. It turned out to be 100% intestines, presumably from sheep. I had two bites and the feral cats had the rest.

Recently, during this good weather, I have been yearning to get up very early and wander around in the imediately post-dawn countryside, but my nightlife is always too enjoyable to curtail by going to bed at 10.00.

The wonderful scent of newly woken vegetation; the fresh air before it has passed through the lungs of countless others; the optimism in the voices of birds before they face the daily grind of finding something to eat...

25 comments:

  1. Your NSS's sound OK; I wish I could say the same about my Tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had NSS for three years for some reason.

      Delete
  2. I had kebabs every day on my visit to Isanbul and very much the same in Morocco. Always good to see the food cooked in front of you and kebabs or meat on an open fire represented the only way of doing this in both places. The birds are having their siesta in the rain at the moment before the grind begins again this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Egypt you see the meat in the back of pickup trucks been driven around uncovered with men sitting on it for the ride.

      Delete
  3. Well, your NSS’s have really perked up.... they are looking good and I prefer them a little stunted rather than long and leggy !
    I always find that a shish is better than a doner ...... more like real meat ! They always do a great salad to accompany it as well. Can’t remember the last time I had one though. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen or smelled NSS (that I know of, anyway) but your descriptions make me want to grow some! Glad to see that your seedlings are coming along.

    I think getting up super early to greet the day might be enjoyable to some people, but you've always struck me as a late-night kind of guy. Maybe you could get up early, go for your wander, and then come back home after awhile and have a short mid morning nap. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I'm up, I'm up, but I do like naps these days.

      Delete
  5. I love the good advice you can always find among friends in BloGland, and I too have a desire to grow this plant, I'll see if it's possible here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they would do well where you are. They like the weather but need watering quite a lot. If you can't find any seeds I could post some to you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I think we should not get any delivery of seeds of any kind here, I'll check it out.

      Delete
  6. I back on to newly silaged fields so it is like that all the time here Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went out tonight to bring in the trash cans, but paused on the porch to listen to and watch all the birds winding up their day. My god, they report every last bug and worm consumed to the next bird on the line. It can be hypnotizing. It certainly is pleasant and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being in the middle between two conversing blackbirds. After a while you think you can understand them in a blackbirdy sort of way.

      Delete
  8. You might let us share your interesting and enjoyable night life, Tom (if it is printable, of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would find it very boring. It is much the same as anyone else's but can go on for longer.

      Delete
  9. Your comment to me gave rise to a coincidence!
    Are you going to show the NSS in flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are not at all impressive. It's the scent that counts.

      Delete
    2. Have you looked at my reply?

      Delete
    3. Which one? I will look now.

      Delete
    4. Yes I have. Have you looked at my response?

      Delete
  10. A good use of kebab sticks...I wonder if that would dissuade the cats from our onion and garlic patch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would have to be very short and numerous for cats.

      Delete