Monday 22 July 2019

Get it while you can


By the time the comparatively expensive variable speed 4 inch grinder turns up (between 12.21 and 13.21 according to Hermes) I will be as tooled-up as I was before the bastards broke into my workshop. That's 4 tools arriving in one day from 4 different couriers. Timing. I already have the 240 volt cordless drill.

I say 'comparatively expensive' because that red grinder was ridiculously inexpensive, despite being of seemingly good, solid quality with an ergonomically designed, gay, red plastic body and a spare set of carbon  brushes. I am reclaiming the word 'gay' for the sake of this post. You homos can have it back when I've finished with it. No arguments.

Guess how much...?   No...   No...   Lower...   No...  Ok I will tell you. It was £23 including delivery. £23! I am going to miss the Chinese imports once Trump has completely cut them off.

In case you can only see 2 tools in the photo, there is an SDS/standard converter chuck in the box with the SDS drill, so I can use any type of bit. That is also of good quality and cost under £5 including delivery. I am going to miss the Hong Kong imports once China has completely cut them off.

The grinder I am waiting on is German. If you try and use a fast, cheap grinder on delicate marble you will either leave a ragged edge or blow the marble to bits altogether. False economy. I call it 'comparatively expensive' because it costs a lot more than the red thing, but it has a digital speed control and good quality bearings. Even with a good blade, fast cutting heats marble up and the vibration caused by poor bearings finishes off the damage nicely.

German power tools have come right down in price over the last 20 years - pretty much halved. I am going to miss the German imports when we crash out of the E.U.

Before I ordered the German cutter, I noticed a new American one on eBay for about $70. It looked quite good so I made further inquiries. Shipping to me here in the U.K. was quoted at $200. I am going to resent the American imports when we crash out of the E.U.

11 comments:

  1. There’s nothing better than being newly tooled up 😂🤣😂
    Hope your Volvo isn’t one of the ones being recalled. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have got going again with those tools Gwil - get everywhere tidy and shipshape - always does the soul good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Tom - I called you Gwil!!! Blame it on to my age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really good news - hopefully soon the terrible incident will all be well and truly behind you.
    My best school friend was called Gay short for Gabriel. I wonder what she calls herself now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an overtly gay boy in my school called Dick Withers. This, for once, is true.

      Delete
  5. Again, it's really shit that your tools were stolen & that you must replace them. -nuts that they're coming from hither and yon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to repair the workshop now. After that I will be waiting for the next break-in. I am trying not to get too depressed about it.

      Delete
  6. How could you tell the "American" one was made there, and not in China? Even if it's American made, parts come from China and can't be replaced, or if they can be, they're the same poor quality as the one that failed.

    I hope you can do something to prevent a break-in, or maybe install cameras?

    ReplyDelete