Monday 27 May 2019

Cretan H and S


This photo is for Rosemary of Five Valleys fame. I promised I would find it to show her and I discovered it yesterday whilst looking for other stuff.

It is a large Minoan tomb set into the rocky hillside of what is now an almond grove in Crete. Just off the main road leading between Heraklion and the South, hand-painted signs point to the almond grove (or they were hand-painted years ago) which say 'Minoan Tombs'. It is quite easy to shoot past them without noticing. This is why many people have never seen them.

The hillside is very steep and there is a cluster of what look like trenches cut into the rock, of varying sizes. The trenches are the top of the tomb entrances and they spread out wider the deeper they go. The entrances are cut horizontally, so the the deeper they are, the taller the 'roofs'.

They terminate in a small chamber containing what looks like benches around the walls. This was where the dead were placed before the tomb was sealed with a large slab. The tombs are unlit and the only way I could see the inside was to fire the flash of my camera. I warned the German tourist couple that were down there at the time that I was about to do this so I did not blind them.

In most other countries they would put railings around the trenches above ground to stop people falling in and down, but Cretans have a very different attitude to Health and Safety. A whitewashed rock in the middle of a mountain road just before a hairpin bend denotes that the road has collapsed just around the corner. I learned this the hard way by driving around a white rock at night at speed, only to find that the piece of road I was intending to use was now about 1000 feet down in the valley, blending in with the rest of the rubble.

All of the ordinary road signs in the mountains are riddled with bullet holes. Most of the mountain-dwellers have guns, and most of them are vintage left-overs from WW2 and the German occupation. At midnight on Easter Sunday, the rattle of gunfire echoes around the mountains and can be heard miles down in the tourist towns which fringe the beaches of the South Coast.

Crete in the Spring, with its flower-covered mountain slopes, is wonderful.

31 comments:

  1. People shoot at road signs here too. I suppose if there's nothing else to do......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I suppose you might be able to answer 'yes' to Cro's question above if you're as close to the border as we are to Brexit.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to everyone who has seen all this before. Rosemary hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People fire guns here to celebrate things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where, and what sort of guns? I am thinking shotguns. I have done the same myself.

      Delete
    2. They just dent road signs. I am talking of single holes right through.

      Delete
    3. I meant they shoot skywards. I wasn't thinking very hard.

      Delete
  5. Did you scare the living daylights out of the German tourists? Luke you were going to murder them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I explained what I was going to do. Then I told them I was taking them for a nice refreshing shower back at the camp site.

      Delete
    2. Funny that typo turned the sentence into a statement like "Luke, you were going to murder them?"

      Delete
  6. I know you think that I’m always double entendrering everything but I thought this was a photo of ladies ‘ bits ‘ when I first saw the photograph !!! Sorry. I have run true to type ! You obviously braked hard when you realised the road had run out ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always seen that photo in the same way. The tombs may have been intended to inspire that - returning to the womb, etc.

      Delete
    2. Re the road collapse: No, I drove as fast as possible over the edge and arrived back at the hotel two hours ahead of schedule.

      Delete
  7. Now that Jack@ has said that, that's all I can see, although I must say 'it' looks a bit bleak and not terribly inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣😂🤣....that made me laugh out loud Rachel !!!! XXXX

      Delete
    2. Your comment also made me do a swift double take on "braking hard".

      Delete
    3. I have thought long and hard over this.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for showing that Tom - it looks rather like the entrance to an air-raid shelter that my grandparents had in their garden.
    I think Cretans generally are finally beginning to take more care of their archaeology and also slowly introducing more health and safety - after all they are members of the EU!!!
    Hope that you got on well today - I love that garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope things went well for you today - thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since this post has strayed so far, I will ask: The meeting still will happen, yes?

    ReplyDelete