Tuesday 23 April 2019

Joyce Grenfell's hat


I think I showed this to you some years ago. It is Joyce Grenfell's Norfolk birdwatching hat. It was kept at her best friend's house near Cromer where I spent one Christmas with her daughter. I didn't steal it, I was given it.

I used to use it at my workshop and I kept it hanging on a nail on a roof timber. One Spring day I found a beautifully constructed nest in it with a wren sitting on a clutch of unbelievably tiny eggs.

Shortly after, I went into the shop and - once again - felt as though I was being observed. Little wren chicks were dotted around, perched on various things at various levels. The mother was trying to coax them out under a gap in the door. The next day they were all outside enjoying the sunshine.

Joyce would have loved that.

18 comments:

  1. The hat has been put to good use then and Joyce would have approved .... she could have made a sketch about it .... “ Now then children, shall we all fly like birds ..... no Thomas, a tractor isn’t a bird is it ? Thomas, don’t do that !!! I loved her monologues . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she have a balaclava for those not so warm days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hat has ear flaps that are tucked up. I think it is an American hunting hat.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating birds, wrens..and inventive nest builders

    ReplyDelete
  4. We once inherited a cluttered garage that had an old Army greatcoat hanging inside. In one of the pockets was a Robin's nest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lady to those of us old enough to remember her at the height of her powers.
    The farmer once left a pair of old trousers he wore when threshing hanging over a beam in the barn - a long tailed tit built a nest in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good spot for a long tailed tit. Their nests get attacked by magpies around here, but magpies don't usually like venturing indoors amongst humans.

      Delete
  6. Wrens are my favorite songbird. Their little tails stick straight up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we had farthings (quarter of a penny) the wren was stamped on it.

      Delete
    2. I loved that coin. The wren made it special.

      Delete
  7. Delightful! Joyce would have loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a nice story, Tom. I love wrens and I'm sure Joyce would have been thrilled.

    ReplyDelete