Sunday 28 April 2019

A late Autumn day at Shearwater


I love this photo. It reminds me of Alan Bennet for some reason. It is at Shearwater, which is part of the Longleat estate.

I spent all day yesterday designing an advert for a property edition of Bath Life magazine in June. I have never advertised in my life, but I thought I would give this issue a try in the hopes it might introduce me to one or two new clients.

Years ago I did quite a lot of work at Longleat House, when the old Marquis was alive and the estate was run by his younger son, Christopher. It was like working in Gormenghast. 'Swelter'. What a great name for a cook. 

The day that the old Marquis died, his inheritor, Alexander, threw out Lord Christopher without ceremony. Those two never got on for some reason.

I have sent Longleat a letter asking if they could use my services, but I doubt if I will hear back. I feel as though I am on the scrapheap at the moment, but things will change one way or another. They have to.

22 comments:

  1. Go on tell the tale of Alexander and his wifelets. At 83 he is too old now, but the hippy baronet definitely added colour to the world....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kept himself locked away when Christopher was around.

      Delete
  2. I hope things will change for the better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'll send you an email of the artwork. I think it is as simple as it can be. I was going to email you anyway.

      Delete
    2. In a quarter page, it is either pictures or words. Given my lapsed reputation I chose words, and I chose them carefully.

      Delete
  4. Can you share it with us, or tell us how to find it. I'd love to see it. I do hope it will work and don't stop with just that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know when and where it is printed.

      Delete
  5. How I hope it works, Tom. My one foray into advertising my return didn't work. I'm trying it again, the first weekend in May, sans advertising. Feast or famine, eh? I wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have both reached the age when we should not have to advertise, but times are strange now.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I too wish you the best. I did newspaper stuff for years, and frankly I am very glad that era is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are some eras which should be over, but also some vegan dinosaurs wandering around in the post-apocalyptic environment, just trying to stay alive on roots and berries.

      Delete
  7. It reminds me of Cissy and Ida
    ( les Dawson and Roy barroclough)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see what you mean. It was a wonderful image which I am glad I was there to record.

      Delete
  8. It's a lovely image, Tom. May the advert yield positive results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we were short of work we carved Lamp Bases. They sold like hot cakes, and used up all the old bits of stone that were hanging around. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much has changed since you worked with stone Cro.

      Delete
  10. Hope things improve for you Tom and that this is just a bad patch which will soon disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Weave. I am prone to worrying, but historically not prone enough. All will be well.

      Delete