Thursday 21 February 2019

Are farts funny? You decide.


I am still waiting to grow up. I have been waiting for so long now that I am beginning to think it will never happen.

I think you get to a certain age - about 10 in most cases - and that is where you stay. I know a 10 year old girl who is far more sensible than I could ever be. An indication of how sensible she is was when she refused a mobile phone at the age of 8.

I cannot remember going through some sort of ritual to mark my transition from childhood to adulthood. I spent a few years looking over my shoulder to see if my parents where quietly arranging a long night with the local shaman or some sort of aryan bar mitzvah for me, but after a while I began to relax.

If I had left home and got a job in a bank or the armed forces it might have been different. Actually it would have been different. As it was, the only difference between the solitary years of childhood and adolescence spent drawing, painting and watching Hammer Horror films and the years in art school was that I was surrounded by several hundred others doing just the same thing.

Recently I was sitting around with a group of men of a similar age to me and I posed the question, 'Why do we still find farts funny?'

One of them gave me a stern look and said, "Not all farts are funny".

18 comments:

  1. I think it might be more of a bloke thing ..... did you see on the news about a test pilot ? He soelt out ‘ I’m bored ‘ on his tracking device and then drew lots of phallic symbols !. I think he drew a smiley face in the sky as well !!! All I can say is that it’s great to have a laugh at any age. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known a few women who find farts funny - one of them my mother - but they are quite rare.

      Delete
  2. My farts are definitely not funny. Can be silent and deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing the words 'A 16 year old man has been arrested for...' (when I was 16) and thinking 'Oh, I must be a man now'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding farts funny is ok but it depends who you are with. I think it is a man thing not a girly thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I don't do fart gags at Windsor Castle.

      Delete
  5. Penis graffiti is very funny. The whole 'pull my finger' routine still makes me laugh, but my husband is bored to death by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my girl. Having said that, who needs to have their finger pulled?

      Delete
  6. The kind you are speaking of I don't find at all funny but I do know one or two boring old farts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were funny in our house when I was a kid growing up. Mother didn't give any warning, it was like a clap of thunder erupting from her backside. Nothing else to do except erupt into fits of laughter. I can see her now, her face creased up, it was very infectious, we all joined in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if you had a good childhood. My mother used to wear an elasticated corset and the prolonged high pitched squeal was even funnier.

      Delete