Saturday 17 November 2018

Now you see me, now you don't


I am taking each day as it comes at the moment, but I suppose that is all any of us can do.

I used to think that I would mellow with age but, short of a catastrophic brain injury, I don't think that is ever going to happen. I also don't think I will ever be seen as avuncular by my younger friends and relations, but the upside to this is the thought that maybe I still have a bit of a game left to play inside me.

Last week I had a sudden back to black reversion and bought myself a pair of black trousers, a black stormproof jacket and a black watch strap. I put on my black Crockett and Jones boots and went to the pub. Nobody said a thing until an older customer asked if I had been to a funeral. Had I been younger they may have asked if I had been to court.

I go to the pub each weekday in my dirty work clothes, and sometimes I cannot be arsed to change so go in the same rags at weekends. Nobody ever seems to notice, let alone care about falling personal standards.

Quite a few years ago, I said to a friend that I was thinking of getting a suntan that Summer, as I had not exposed my body to the air for quite a few years before that.

He responded by saying, "What possible difference would that make?"

He had obviously surmised my motives as a pathetic attempt to make myself more attractive to the opposite sex, completely discounting the possibility that I may just have wanted to make myself feel slightly better for nothing other than personal reasons.

The one physical thing about me that people comment on is my hair. If I have a haircut, everyone will inform me of the fact as if I had not noticed. It's true that I sometimes forget that I have shorter hair (it being on the top of my head and well out of my peripheral vision), so maybe they are just trying to jog my failing memory.

It's all part of the ageing process I suppose.

21 comments:

  1. Once (in Shropshire) I had a mad moment, and shaved off my luxuriant beard. When I went to the pub that night no-one said anything about it. Eventually I asked a girl if she'd noticed anything different about me. She replied 'not really, other than you've shaved your beard off'. I had been expecting ridicule at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes most people a long time to work out what is different when someone removes a beard or moustache. She must have been observant.

      Delete
  2. I wear black most of the time with a few white or grey additions now and again ! I would think that you look good in black with your hair ... I think that I would have noticed. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent years and years dressed in nothing but black. Now it is only elderly art school teachers who do that. If they must wear t-shirts, I wish they wouldn't tuck them into their trousers.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I always enjoy the, "You got your hair cut!" comment. Stating the obvious. Recently, I had a young person say, "Did you dye your hair, or what?". -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H.I. spent most of her adult life dying her hair the colour it naturally turned into with age.

      Delete
    2. I'm not there yet, but will be...
      Wanted you to know, I went back to the title of my blog post and added an exclamation mark. I am easily influenced.

      Delete
  4. As a born and bred Northamptonian, I applaud your superb choice of footwear. Crockett and Jones employed my Grandma many years ago, she worked in most of Northampton's former shoe factories, But never Church's shoes. Apparently the rats were of enormous proportions and my Grandad refused to let her work there. How the times have changed, many of our shoe factories are now luxury flats offering no employment and scant regard to heritage.
    I have also had my quarterly haircut and now have very cold ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crockett and Jones are (it has to be said) the best handmade shoes in England. I have three pairs - two brown, one black. If I was closer to Northampton I would go to their seconds shop and save myself a few hundred quid. I am glad it is still running.

      Delete
  5. I had my monthly hair cut a month late this time. The weather was foul; I cancelled a doctor appointment, then was very lucky and hitched a ride with a neighbor going to a very nearby store. I cannot believe I am allowing myself to be intimidated; however, I look at the sheet of ice and cannot step on it. I have been incapacitated since July; I can stand a bit more, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let the bastards grind you down, Joanne. You have your own agenda which is just as important - if not more important - than theirs.

      Delete
  6. When I was young I had dark hair, over the years it became more and more blond stripes with the help of the hairdresser that always asks what they said at home, no one says anything about my hair here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's nice to be left alone, other times we want to be noticed. There is no satisfactory middle ground.

      Delete
  7. A stranger commented that I was walking with a limp. Observant fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think we have ever been treated to a portrait of you - me thinks you wish to keep us all guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to avoid it Weave, but I may post a flattering one from about 30 years ago.

      Delete
  9. You sound like a man who has an itch he needs to scratch....

    ReplyDelete