Sunday 12 August 2018

Djinns


This hot Summer has been one of fires. The Summer of 1976 was the same.

I was sharing an attic flat with a married couple and one other in '76, then the other moved out and the married couple allowed a homeless and idiotic hippy to move in for a while. I could not be bothered to talk to him at all, other than say 'hello' every now and then.

I had a young Iranian friend at the time, and he would come round to the flat and sit talking with me, drinking tea and smoking dope. One day we were chatting in my small room, when he pointed to one of the huge trees outside and exclaimed that it was on fire.

I looked, and indeed saw smoke drifting in and out of the leaves on the branches, but saw no fire. I thought that it must be pollen, but he was an imaginative fellow, and was convinced it was a djinn.

He explained that in his home town near Tehran, the temperatures would sometimes rise so high, that columns of fire would spontaneously appear in the streets, then spiral along like tornados before burning themselves out in a few moments. He - and everyone else - thought they were djinns too.

I spent quite a bit of time on the flat roof of the building, watching the city shimmer in the heat. On four consecutive days, a fire broke out about a quarter of a mile away, and each fire was on the compass point of North, South,East and West. Our house was in the middle.

On the fifth day, I was walking back to the flat when the hippy burst out of a phone box close to it. He hysterically shouted, "THE FLAT'S ON FIRE!" before going back to the business of dialling 999.

I ran up the stairs and opened the door to the married couple's room, finding a fire so large that it was out of control. The hippy could probably have put it out earlier, but obviously panicked. I went back downstairs and waited for the firemen. When they arrived, one of them asked me to show him the source. By then, the upstairs had a heavy pall of hot smoke on the ceiling, and the fireman and I crept around in the clear spot three feet off the floor.

I pointed to the metal door handle of the room, and when he reached up to open it, a puff of smoke came from his bare hand. He took one look, then we went back downstairs and they began pumping hundreds of gallons of water through the upper windows.

It took three engines about half an hour to put it out, and when we went back up, the place was bone-dry. The black charcoal of its contents tinkled and pinged as the room cooled down.

As the firemen had fun throwing the charred furniture and mattress out of the window to the street below, the lady occupant carried a large blackened fish tank which had been in the middle of the room to the bathroom. It contained a goldfish they had won at a fair the night before.

She put her hand in the water but it was too hot to touch, so she poured it into the sink. Out flopped the goldfish, seemingly already cooked. She poured cold water on it and - miraculously - the fish came back to life and started swimming around as if nothing had happened to it. She was on the front page of the local newspaper the next day, holding up a new bowl containing the miracle goldfish.

Of course, the couple could not live in the flat any more, so they went to a friend's house who lived close by.

On the first night, their friend's cat ate the goldfish.

27 comments:

  1. WOW ..... what a story ..... so much went on that day.
    I was on fire on my honeymoon in the Summer of 1976 🤭 🤣 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. On yet another hot and humid NYC morning, I've treated myself to reading this post and its immediate two predecessors. It's good to find that you write as well as ever, with a voice that I still recognize.

    It's difficult for me to not be worried about the big picture, with the sharp divisions amongst folks over here and in other parts of the world. I remember some old 60s/70s song lyric, "nobody's right when everybody's wrong." Perhaps the extremely hot summer has also stirred things up. Although I have yet to see smoke swirling in any leafy tree branches, I did spy an actual fried egg on a sidewalk last week. True.

    I have been buying pounds during the current exchange rate situation. I have also been trying to do some drawing and painting when the air is not super humid...otherwise, my hand sticks to the paper.

    Reading is a quiet summer activity and keeps me away from my intense news following for an hour or two, It's too hot to enjoy the Park.

    It is an immense relief to be retired and to be able to escape a daily commute that would involve subway station platforms that are reaching 100 degrees F.

    My friends and I meet in air conditioned cafes and museums to enjoy our friendships and share our vacillations between optimism and pessimism. Macro wise, it seems as if pessimism is in the lead.

    Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw 'smoke' drifting in and out of a bush in London once. Lots of it. It was definitely very fine pollen - lots of it. I believe this is where the Moses and burning bush story originated.

    I am very pleased to have a reader in NYC, but please leave a few pounds for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promise that I shall do.

    Oh, perhaps one day I will tell you a ghost story that also involves a bit of smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful story, over and over again. Life,death, resurrection, death agai, though not inevitably. Maybe it is our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that God really had it in for that goldfish.

      Delete
  6. While moving across the U.S. one winter I parked in Texas overnight to get a few hours of sleep. My turtle froze in his glass tank of water. The heater in the truck melted the water and my turtle thawed out,he lived several more years.
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of sharing rooms with Pete Smith in Farnham. I can't be bothered to explain, other that to say that I managed to put the fire out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe a djinn got into our lawn mower the other day and that's why it caught fire!

    What a great story...especially about the miraculous uncooked goldfish who became a meal for the cat. You're a gifted storyteller, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of human spontaneous combustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it seems to be old people who set fire to themselves and do not reach water in time.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. The bodies are usually found in bathrooms.

      Delete
    2. I like to believe that people can burst into flames in the street.

      Delete
    3. I sometimes like to think that too but I don't know any examples which have involved any spirits other than petrol.

      Delete
  11. I think there is a moral somewhere in this story but cant find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't underestimate God's hatred for goldfish is the only one I can think of.

      Delete
  12. I loved this post....my kinda final line

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, but I had to laugh at the final line ! ..... I must go and get the gold fish out of my fishtank that has been slowly dying for the last week....it finally made it overnight, thank goodness ! I did look up " humane" ways of finishing it off, but none appealed to me!

    ReplyDelete