Saturday 23 June 2018

Civil / Uncivil war and civilians


Have I shown you this picture before?  You need to embiggen it.

There is a stark plateau near Bromham in Wiltshire where a famous battle was fought during the English Civil War. My shape-shifting sculpture supplier's depot sits beneath it, almost in its shadow.

I love this topography. Wiltshire has quite a few hills like this which just rise out of the landscape and can be seen for miles. Some of them have white horses scoured into them.

Life was so much more civilised in 17th century Britain. Armies would trudge up steep escarpments like this one and have their battles in the wide open, well away from civilians.

These days, battles are fought in towns and cities, using the residents as very ineffectual human shields.

18 comments:

  1. Earlier battles were not only quite small affairs, they were often over by lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The American Revolution was fought over diverse miles of terrain. The Civil War was fought over the sort of topography of Wiltshire. Perhaps a little more mountainous. The Indian wars were fought on large plains. So what if the battlefield is condensed. The object is unchanged because the cause is not addressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they managed to get slavery abolished, which is one small victory.

      Delete
  3. All you needed was a bow and arrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had very accurate flintlock guns then. Trouble was that many ancient manuscripts were torn up for wadding, hence the shortage of ancient manuscripts today.

      Delete
    2. Oh, all right. Scarcity was the word I didn't find in time.

      Delete
    3. I was about 200 years out I suppose.

      Delete
    4. The first word for a gun was medieval German - Hacken. Groucho Marx's Hackenbusch was a real name meaning 'gunsmith'.

      Delete
    5. Interesting. 'Hacken' now means much what it does in English, to hack.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too Weave. I pinched it from another (American) blogger. Maybe Donna?

      Delete
    2. I think Elephant's Child. I think I'll go ask her and report back.

      Delete
    3. Embiggen is a Homer Simpson original! I love it, a very useful word.

      Delete
    4. Because I am a word nerd I found this for your enjoyment:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzGnRQ9cfA

      Delete
    5. Ah, thank you Judith. Even the Simpsons didn't invent it then.

      Delete