Saturday 21 April 2018

Thank you for a memorable evening


I used to be on the dinner party circuit when I was around thirty, but not many people seem to have dinner parties these days. Maybe I am just not invited to them. You will find out why not shortly.

You have two duties when you go to someone's house for dinner: To be entertaining or at least interesting on the night, and to reciprocate by eventually cooking dinner for your host at some point in the future. Very entertaining people can get away without cooking dinner themselves, but bores are never invited back again.

A bit of wine is good for making people more entertaining than they would be stone-cold sober, but too much is guaranteed to turn them into bores, although sometimes an excess can lead to interesting events.

At the last dinner party I went to a few years ago, everyone was well-oiled and our hostess ended up waylaying me on my way back from the WC in a small ante-room adjoining the dining room. She blocked my path by standing in front of me, putting her arms around me and planting a kiss full on my mouth, saying "I find you very attractive."

I mumbled something about being flattered and she said, "You don't understand. I find you VERY attractive." She was still draped over me and blocking my exit, so I had to struggle to get away with a sort of fixed smile on my face.

What made it doubly disturbing was that she did all this in full view of her adult son who was sitting at one end of the dining table next to the ante-room. He pretended not to notice.

When I finally made it back to the table, her partner was alluding to how much money he had in the bank adding that anyone who uses a credit card is an idiot. I said that I often used credit cards and he said, "Then you are stupid."

I responded by saying, "And you are a cunt."

Amazingly, I was invited back to another dinner at the same house, but I made a feeble excuse about being committed to some other event. She must have found me VERY attractive.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like the wine doing the talking for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you saying? That I am unattractive to people who can focus?

      Delete
  2. Just think she was yours for the taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there. On the carpet. Her son looking on. The others looking round the door. What a missed opportunity.

      Delete
  3. The next dinner party I give, you Tom will be top of the invite list, I have a funny feeling I will find you both very attractive and extremely entertaining. And from that shady photo of you on the other day’s blog it looks as if you have a fine head of hair. Hopefully your own teeth and the knowledge of which knife and fork to use. The
    killer will be of course, that you have never, ever unlike Cro been tempted to vote bloody Conservative.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good hair, bad teeth and no particular political affiliation.

      Delete
  4. I think you were pretty good looking, in a shambling, school boy sort of way. Back then. Now it's up for guessing. I remain one of the few readers who saw the tweed overcoat and hat picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a large schoolboy, even then. I never shambled, but I may start shambling quite soon.

      Delete
  5. Parties make me anxious and thus, I am quiet. That dinner would have been my last. A drink wouldn't help as it makes me quiet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parties make me anxious too, but I am loud. Drink makes me louder.

      Delete
  6. Of course all us ladies in blogland might well find you VERY attractive if only we knew what you looked like. But on second thoughts if we saw you and we did think that then we might scare you off so best you remain a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropping the c bomb at the party is fairly shocking. I can only imagine the hosts had alcohol induced amnesia. It must be frightening to be so attractive. I’m not surprised you are anxious at parties after that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years of experience has immured me to any form of self doubt.

      Delete
  8. Well at least it wasn't boring, I remember being kicked out of a dinner party once but I can't remember why maybe a few to many drinks.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I have a 'Bunbury'; he turns-up very often and conveniently. I require his services even more frequently these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you and HI make a wonderful couple. She is very pretty and elegant and, you are attractive and dress with good taste - we've seen you with the hat, tweed coat, your lovely hands and the video.

    I have dinner parties but I always present my guest with an antipasto before the first glass of wine is poured and then I serve plenty food; it is difficult to get drunk on a full stomach even drinking more than you should.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words Maria. It seems to be only the Brits who get overtly drunk at dinner parties. In one way we are quite uncivilised.

      Delete