Saturday 31 March 2018

Auslanders


Think Bremerhaven, think fish. Having suffered from my father's actions more than many other towns in Northern Germany, not much old architecture remains, and that which does dates back no further than around 1910.

Shortly after the rebuild, they put up some truly horrible buildings in the town, and they continue to do so to this day. Bremerhaven was voted the ugliest town in Germany recently, but I think they were being a bit harsh on themselves. I have seen uglier.

The political situation regarding immigration is very complex here. There is a massive museum dedicated to all the thousands of Germans who used Bremerhaven as a setting-off point to begin a new life in North America, right on the harbour where their boats were moored. Americans often come to Bremerhaven's migration museum to look up records of their great and great, great grandparents who left their own country for a better life in another. They are very tuned-in to the idea of economic migration, so is it any wonder that they - on paper - welcome modern migrants with open arms?

Right next to my friend's apartment there is a vast, brick building which used to be the medical examination centre for military service conscripts. How many young men who went through its doors to have their balls handled whilst they coughed is anyone's guess, but the Germans keep good records, so if you really want to find out you probably could.

Today, this building is used as housing for migrants in transit. There are hundreds of bicycles parked outside, and they were all donated by the ordinary Bremerhaven townspeople for use by the migrant newcomers.

My friend took his 1000 euro bike to the priest in the collection centre, and the elderly cleric remarked on what a good quality bicycle he was generously donating. Thomas said, "Yes it is, and I do not want to see you riding around on it in the future."

Thomas is the kindest, gentlest and most generous person you could wish to meet, but recently he has begun attending classes in defensive marshal arts.

We were walking home one night when he spotted two young Arab men walking toward us. I sensed a slight panic from him, then the two boys went into a house. "Oh, it's ok," he said, "They live there."

He told me that if he is walking alone at night and sees two people who could be immigrants walking in his direction, he crosses the street. It is very sad.

28 comments:

  1. Mrs Merkel not so popular with her immigration policy. I wonder where it will all end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from the old DDR, she had to embrace the youthfully Green, popular ideal of welcome. If she had not, then she would been like those Indian men who have settled in Britain, become upstanding members of the community and then complain that there are too many foreigners being allowed in.

      Delete
    2. It hasn't exactly worked for her popularity.

      Delete
    3. I have only just discovered that Bath has a German MP. a woman who stood against Rees-Mogg and won. Ha ha! The reason I only just realised is because her name is Wera Hobhouse, and 'Wera' is pronounced 'Vera' of course. She was born in Hanover - same city as Thomas.

      Delete
    4. She looks like she should be a member of the Green Party but is in fact a Lib Dem having defected from the Tories a few years ago and the Hobhouses are a Somerset family who made their fortune when they diversified into the slave trade. She sounds all embracing.

      Delete
    5. I think that the Hobhouse family that you refer to must have been a couple of hundred years before Wera married into it. I wish I had the opportunity to diversify from the slave trade to something a little more respectable than the one I find myself in now.

      Delete
    6. Don't worry about it. It pays the bills.

      Delete
  2. I cross the road if I want to pass a lone woman on a pavement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run towards them in the dark, waving my arms around and making gurgling noises.

      Delete
    2. Not all lone women have big bosoms and prickly chins John...

      LX

      Delete
    3. Think what I am trying to say is be not afraid of the female of the species.

      LX

      Delete
    4. I am not. I am more scared of transvestites.

      Delete
  3. I'd cross the road if I saw John crossing the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if the little man is still red?

      Delete
    2. That would really be panicking.

      Delete
    3. Do you know, that thought had not occurred to me until now. Better than a green little man I suppose.

      Delete
  4. I'd cross the road if I saw the three of you coming towards me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three of us coming toward you in a Norfolk lane would take up the whole road, wouldn't it?

      Delete
    2. We don't really do roads here, we just have potholes so you would probably disappear in a pothole before you saw me anyway, or vice versa.

      Delete
  5. The thought of Cro, John and you disappearing down a Norfolk country pothole has wiped out all other images of this post from my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading comments auf Deutsch on social media re: migrants/asylum-seekers can be very depressing.

    There was recently a furore over a Krankenkasse using a photo in its advert featuring a biracial German couple. The hate was a-flying and mostly from AfD-folks. Hope you're enjoying your time in the Fatherland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am home to the Motherland now - not that it is any more of a comfort.

      Delete
  7. Happy Easter to you and H.I.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could quote a statistic of how the feeling of Berliners concerning security have drastically changed, and there really is a big difference now (a bit depending on where you live in the city, and if you go by public transport or car).
    But today I just want to wish you and H.I. a Happy Easter! (Here we have snow-rain... but I have lovely flowers on the balcony, so what)

    ReplyDelete