Monday 8 January 2018

Mahatma Ratma

You get a bonus portrait of Taj Mahal (the singer, not the palace) with this one. I have tried to crop out the irrelevant personal message with the camera angle, because - as I said - the computer is currently on the blink and this is the best I can do. It was obviously a curry that night.

Hopefully, as of tomorrow my old iMac will have left hospital and be back to its old - or new - self. I am taking it to a computer doctor this morning, and he is going to completely wipe the hard drive and re-install the operating system.

Can you imagine how scary this process is? To allow someone to deliberately destroy all of your emails and addresses, contacts for same, personal files, thousands of photos, invoices, etc. etc. and hope - nay pray - that you did actually back it up on the 500GB external hard drive?

I have a friend who is a genuine idiot. One day he scanned his entire collection of family photos, saved them to a secondary hard drive in his computer, then destroyed all of the paper originals.

He met someone in the pub who told him he was a computer expert and handed it over to him for repair. This 'expert' wiped everything off both hard drives - forever.

I think I would have almost killed the 'expert', but my idiot friend was incredibly relaxed about it. He even said, 'these things happen'.

They do, but only once. Wish me luck...



14 comments:

  1. Years ago, I took my computer to someone on the High Street .... paid a fortune for them not to do much ! I'm sure things have improved from those olden times but, the way your luck is going, I'm not going to hold my breath !!!!
    Still, sending positive vibes ..... Good Luck ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, I think you should brand (I think you say that?) your rat cartoon character before someone steals it from you and put it in the Sunday newspaper!
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, and by the way, wishing you Good luck! x

      Delete
  3. My laptop that went caput a few weeks ago (and I finished it off with a sledgehammer) lost every scan and document I had on it. Photos seem to get magically passed around without my intervention to phone and then onwards to the new Chromebook. I photo rather than scan these days so that all rubbish will carry on moving from device to device ad infinitum. The rat was framed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers, toes and everything crossable done - hope it goes well, in spite of your grouping me with elderly drivers going along at twenty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahatma Ratma made me laugh even before I studied the drawing. The name kills me. And he's sooooo cute! I'd buy a plush toy of Ratma (but then I like rats, having met one named Jimmy on whom I had quite a crush) and I'd purchase extra little outfits so I could dress him up as suits my whims.Count me in for the Ratma Fan Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ratty, but don't send him out into the world. I'm sure he's much happier with just you and H.I. My daughter Sara used to delight us with the misfortunes of a character named Rob. We thought she should send them to the New Yorker, but then we were her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, crikey! That is my biggest fear, to lose the contents of my hard drive.My ex used to update my laptop, even after my divorce, but he knew I was just looking for an excuse to kill him, so he didn't lose a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to be your 'idiot' friend. He's liable to outlive us all.

    Love the pointy shoes and the dagger in the waistband of ole Mahatma Ratma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have got a Taj Mahal LP somewhere....used to like him! Computer and phone probs going on here too. Husband has finally given up and getting a man in so it must be bad!! Also I am in the middle of changing phones.....only taken nearly a week so far....and I have 2 phones that partially work. Neither of them will receive a phone call ! Pissed off doesn't begin to say how I feel ! Husband assured me it would be a mere 24 hours to swap over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mac was in the shop for viruses etc. I was a wreck as I do everything on it, well, banking and bills. I was afraid all of my banking and cards were stolen. I know now what they say about kids addicted to cell phones. I felt that way about my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still waiting to get my iMac back, hence this short phone message. Normal service will be resumed asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was worried..as I did a Danny post yesterday and you didn't comment

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol dam spell check it was FANNY not DANNY

    ReplyDelete