Friday 29 December 2017

I crave bland dependability

Since before Christmas, I have been lying in bed until late morning, listening to the rain and snow hitting the window and making it rattle. Lovely.

I have always thought of alcoholics as people who drink before breakfast, no matter how late the breakfast is. This morning - as I drifted in and out of sleep - I was suddenly struck by the desire to get up and immediately begin drinking Champagne, like Winston Churchill. If you want to model yourself on a functioning alcoholic, then there could be no better example than Winston. Anyone who successfully wages a world war pissed on Champagne and brandy must be a good role model.

Anyway, you need not worry. I resisted the urge to crack open a bottle after I finally got up. I did the next best thing, which was to eat cold curry straight from the saucepan, washed down with coffee.

I was going to drive off in the courtesy car while I still have it, to look at a few Volvos within a 50 mile radius, but there have been so many weather warnings today that I will virtually look at them on my crippled iMac.

I have never bought a bum Volvo in all the years I have been spending £1000 on cars which originally sold for about £35,000, and the more I buy, the better my nose becomes at sniffing out and rejecting the bum ones by almost sheer instinct.

What I don't want is a car with 'character'. You know how people wistfully remember all those idiocyncrasies that went along with their old cars - like how they always endearingly jumped out of 3rd for no reason, or how they would only start if you spoke nicely to them whilst giving them a quarter of an inch of accelerator with the choke exactly one inch out for precisely 22 seconds? Well they can fuck themselves as far as I am concerned. I want an obedient and characterless robot as a driving companion.

I saw a wonderful dashboard sticker stuck to the glove compartment on the passenger side of a car once. In large letters it said, 'Sit down, shut up and don't touch anything'.

13 comments:

  1. Lying in bed until mid morning bliss.!!!! Fat chance as I am on the way to Broadstairs to a family who all get up before dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your last visit. Breakfast was an interesting time.

      Delete
    2. That family sound like very sensible people.

      Delete
    3. Hang on - who are you talking about - Rachel?

      Delete
  2. I've been lying in bed until mid morning all week. It's cold and my bed is warm and comfortable.

    I've started watching The Crown on Netflix and I love John Lithgow as Winston Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone has given me their Netflix code. All I have to do now is repair the computer.

      Delete
  3. Are you the driver or the passenger? My best friend is an ardent feminist and would object strongly to that sticker (unless it was meant for a male passenger!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driver. I wouldn't have a woman driving me unless she was a Saudi. (Joke!)

      Delete
  4. I am just going off to fuck myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my father was first diagnosed with Diabetes (they took things much more seriously in those days), before leaving hospital he asked if he could still drink alcohol. They 'jokingly' replied "only Champagne". My father took them seriously and ordered several crates, which like Winnie, he drank with his breakfast.

    ReplyDelete