Thursday 28 December 2017

2018 tipping point

I have to say that in the run-up to the New Year, I am continuously close to tears. I don't know why or for what reason, but I really think that this state is positive rather than negative.

I have just re-listened to the interviews by Prince Harry with Barak Obama, and his father - 'Pa' - and found myself close to tears again.

The positive message put out by those with - in the words of Barak Obama - an 'outsized voice' give me some real hope about all the other gloomy predicitions about not only us, but the rest of the flaura and fauna which we share this tiny planet with.

Ok, I admit it. I am a left-wing royalist. I believe in privelige and I believe in the notion that with power comes responsibility. Noblesse Oblige.

I am proud to be English. I am proud to be British. I am proud to be proud of our royal family so long as they are proud to have us as 'subjects' and continue to work toward global peace and the support of the oppressed. For the moment, I am proud to be a European as well.

I am ever so slightly sad that Obama was  - predictably - unable to fulfill his election pledges, but I am still proud that such a man ever made it to the Presidencey in the first place. He is - in the unsaid words of his successor - a 'good man'.

Charles has been tree-hugging and banging on for around 30 years about what would happen to the planet if we did not change our global ways. Now he urges us to take care of the causes as well as the symptoms.

Once again, I feel lucky in an unlucky world. Happy New Year.

(My computer is completely fucked, so I cannot upload the picture I want. Oh well.)

27 comments:

  1. I find myself agreeing with you Tom - I am largely of the same political persuasion myself. Anyone who decries the Royal Family needs to ask themselves whether they would rather have any of the alternatives on offer.
    And incidentally - I voted Labour and usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you and I have much in common Weave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older I get the more I cry....last time today at an RSPCA advert ...the Prof snorted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any heart-warming Christmas adverts this year. I liked the spoof ones.

      Delete
  4. I am a lefty and here in Canada, we are very supportive of the Queen,Harry and certainly Obama,who is a very decent man. I have to be positive although today the North pole was 4 degrees warmer than us. Sometimes it's a little tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I helped to keep the residents of Quebec city sane one Winter by snow-carving in temperatures like that.

      Delete
  5. That was so beautifully expressed. I'm more sentimental than I used to be, and more in awe of what a gift it is to be alive, even in times like these, and you articulated a lot of my same feelings. And then that last line was so...you...and unexpected and such a departure from the gentleness and sweetness of everything that went before and gave me a good laugh.

    Thank you, for every word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -was able to catch a broadcast of the Harry/Obama interview on our local public radio station. I felt hopeful while listening to it.
    -not that it matters a fig, but I would be a Rebuplican were I British.

    Happy New Year, Tom x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a very funny book by Sue Townsend called, 'The Queen and I'. You would like it.

      Delete
  7. I wish I could give you a hug. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get some very cheap plane tickets these days.

      Delete
  8. When I was very small we used to buy a weekly 'Savings Stamp from a lady who called at the house. The cheaper ones (which were the ones we bought) had pictures of a young Prince Charles, and Princess Anne, on them. I think I've been a Royalist since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....I remember those stamps !! Annie with her blond curls . Do you remember what happened when we had saved them? What were they stuck on/in? Can't remember ever cashing them in. I guess parents did and used the money for whatever. ( We were not " rich" as a young family)

      Delete
    2. I still have an original book with a few stamps of the young Charles and Anne on them. I never got around to cash them in, but there must be 10/6 worth of stamps still in there. I wonder what the government did with my money?

      Delete
  9. I am proud to read your blog.
    Happy new year Tom!
    Greetings Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm proud that you read it, Maria. HNY too.

      Delete
  10. Lovely post Tom. I too like the contradiction between the main text and the final sentence ! As Weaver said.....what would the alternative be if we didn't have the Royal Family? Queen Theresa, King Jeremy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or a queen who rides around on a bicycle like Holland or Denmark?

      Delete
  11. I wish the Queen herself could go on for another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the Royal Family is tremendously important. Banally, the tourist industry in Britain is enormous and I really think without it this would collapse overnight. And we all love a bit of pomp and ceremony and a good old over the top royal wedding from time to time don't we. And ER's speech on Christmas Day. It was a good one!
    Tom I also find myself very emotional. It's good to go through these times, I reckon. Reminds us we're human xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be reminded that other people are humans too. I liked the bit in the Queen's speech when she referred to the Duke of Edinburgh's sense of humour as 'unique'. Prince Charles estimated that he had shaken over 6000 people's hands during 2017. That's about 5990 more than me.

      Delete
  13. I share your opinions on all counts. Top man! Happy New year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the label, I too am a left wing Royalist and didn't know of any others. Not coping well with Corbyn though.

    ReplyDelete