Monday 14 November 2011

Rembrandt 1639... or near offer

I have just bought this Rembrandt self portrait etching of himself leaning on a window sill.

At the moment, I only know that it is a real etching, but I do not know if it was pulled from the original plate, or photo-etched from a print, then re-printed as a new etching. If it was, then it's worth about what I paid for it; if it is from the original plate, then I may be able to pay off my credit card bills.

There are various indicators that seem to suggest that it has been in this frame for a long time, so I am trying to get expert advice on it, in the hopes that it was framed before photo etchings had been developed into an industry, which corresponds to a time in the late 19th C. when Rembrandt had fallen out of favour, and prints like this could be bought in Europe for peanuts.

Let's see what the experts say...

9 comments:

  1. When I managed an art gallery in London, we had many of these. It all depends on which 'state' they come from. A 1st state print is obvioulsy worth money, but when it comes to 5th or 6th, they sell for just a few £'s. I think they're worth having, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting Tom...and while you wait for verification, it is beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that bit of inside info, Cro. I had not thought of 'states' - how do they tell how many have been pulled off? Does the image deteriorate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo Tom, I hope it's worth 'load's 'a money' and, have I ever told you how handsome and what a lovely person you are ?!!!!
    Oh, and I really like it.....I could see it on one of my wall's...... could I come up and see some of your etchings ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a question of comparison... how deep certain lines are, etc, when re-cut. An 'expert's' job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exciting! Good luck!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I could hear the conversation in the pub later.....
    Come and see my etching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting Tom - I await the outcome with interest. You never know with these things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See the next post for the reaction from Christie's...

    ReplyDelete