Saturday, 17 July 2010


Have a look at this massive French goblet I have just bought at our flea market. It is bigger than it looks in this picture (I have large hands, and this pic was taken by the computor webcam) - it stands 7 inches high, and was probably made for the tavern trade, around 1830.

I am hoping Cro can use his inside knowledge to tell me why there is a distinct line which has been engraved around the bowl, about one and a half inches above the base. The French are not renowned for marking the level of spirit mixers when concocting toddies in the glass, and even the English weren't at the time this glass was made. Any ideas? Ask a local?


  1. The first question must be 'is the engraved ring on the inside or outside?'. If on the outside I would suggest it's an absinthe marker (then water to top). On the inside; spoon maybe? Nice glass; I have one reasonably similar, but mine has a chip on the rim.

  2. It's engraved on the outside. Did they mark the level of absinthe?

  3. I've just had a response from a glass expert friend of mine, who also thinks it was for absinthe. I suppose it was such brain-rotting stuff, that even the French measured it out in doses.