Saturday 6 July 2024

Not gloating, just laughing

Apparently, Jeremy Corbyn would now be Father of the House if only he hadn't stepped aside in the queue to allow Sir Edward Leigh to go in front of him when they both signed up as new MPs all those years ago in Westminster. That's our Jeremy - gracious and generous to a fault.

It isn't all bad news, though. Diane Abbott is now Mother of the House, having entered Parliament 37 years ago as a young woman. Diane and Jeremy were very good friends once, I am told. It would have been perfect if they could have stood beside each other as Mother and Father.

My MP is a German woman - Wera Hobhouse. She is beginning her second (at least?) season of serving Bath as a Liberal Democrat. The Lib Dems ousted Chris Patten (Conservative) and have never looked back. Tories don't stand a chance here for the foreseeable future.

When Sir Chris was our MP, I was his next door neighbour in a little hamlet just outside town. I really liked him. He was one of the last of the real Tories and we may never see their like again. He served under Margaret Thatcher and called her 'The Wolverine'. He tried to mitigate her more inhuman policies and upset her so much that she made him Junior Minister for Northern Ireland, no doubt hoping he would be killed in the line of duty. He wasn't, and went on to be the last Governor of Hong Kong. He wept when the Union flag was lowered. I used to get Christmas cards from him signed, 'From Chris, Lavender and the kids'.

I am not as elated as others are depressed by the inevitable outcome, I just feel as though I have been holding my breath for the last 14 years and can now let out a very long sigh indeed.

16 comments:

  1. That's because you are a true moderate liberal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really slot in neatly anywhere. Sometimes I care, sometimes I can't be bothered.

      Delete
  2. Also, the man who made key cutting a name is put in charge of prisons. John Timpson, who employed ex-prisoners in the little booths you would find around towns and where we all go to have our keys cut. A beautiful and funny solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit: Got the name wrong its James Timpson.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have always admired Timpson for what he has done with his business. Somehow I always thought of him as a Conservative - maybe he was/is.

      Delete
  3. Our old PM (and candidate) got in but with a much reduced majority. I thought his 'farewellk'speech on behalf of his party was very sad. I'm holding my breath at the clean sweep. It is all in a mess and they are getting going. I hope things go well for them(they did get my vote - couldn't face my old dad turning in his grave if I didn't vote left!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his speech seemed quite sincere. I don't think he had much sleep before making it. That always brings out honesty.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about that renegade k that slipped in at the end of farewell - hope it isn[t an omen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to imagine what a fair whelk looks like now.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Without resorting to a Colonel Blimp-type description (..twixt the amusing and informative... blah blah etc.) I don't know what else to say. The first bit is me smiling wryly and the rest is me being reflective after a long night.

      Delete
  6. A long sigh yes - and a good lie down! At least that's how feel about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm only glad that Larry the Cat wasn't also given the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so devastated when my business was going down due to financial situation until I found Mr Pedro and his working loan company website then I contacted them via Email: pedroloanss@gmail.com and Telegram / whatsapp +393510140339 then I was given a terms and conditions on how there loans works, I was happy because they willing to fund my business with the amount of 86,000.00 Pounds with a loan repayment of 2% annual return to expand my business. The whole process was so transparent and swift. Gracias.
    I will recommend them as professional loan lenders.

    ReplyDelete