Saturday 30 March 2024

Brand loyalty



I used to be brand-loyal much more than I am now, but since the government has pretty much destroyed the economy over the last 10 years (or thirty if you take Thatcher into account) I am less so. I suspect that the most brand-loyal country in the developed world has to be America - HAS to be Helmans - that sort of thing.

I try to buy British as much as possible, but that is proving quite difficult in most supermarkets. Sometimes you just cannot stop yourself from buying seasonal vegetables which are grown in vast Spanish poly tunnels.

H.P Sauce and Marmite used to inspire ferocious loyalty, but since they are both made in Europe by large multi-national companies I have even lost my affection for them, let alone loyalty. I have discovered that Aldi and Lidl make identically good versions of them for about half the price.

I have just renewed my car insurance. The insurance market is not known for rewarding customers who stay loyal to them over the years, but the NFU has just rewarded a Land Rover-driving friend of mine in a very meaningful way.

Last year my car insurance premium was £330. This year they wanted £1,021. I eventually found a policy for £670. I asked the broker why the premiums have doubled in a matter of weeks and he said that a lot of them have tripled. 

He explained, "It is mainly to do with Brexit", and gave me multiple examples of how we will continue to be punished for leaving Europe. He was completely unemotional about it.

It isn't even as if we are back in charge of our own laws and decisions. I don't think any sane person can deny this any more. Even Canada is getting cold feet because we have a popular policy decision not to import hormone treated beef.

The only benefit we have had from Brexit was the ability to hog the market for vaccine during the pandemic. The rest is utter shit and it is going to stay that way.

20 comments:

  1. I think Brexit is like Marmite Tom. You either like it or you don't. Over here in Ireland I find it very difficult to buy English beer, Especially Newcastle Brown Ale. We use to shop in Iceland for Vimto, Ginsters pasties and Hollands pies and Gregg's pastries and tins of Heinz Bean and Sausages. But like Argos and Debenhams they have left these shores. Is it time for another referendum over there? I am sure the result would be different this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly like Marmite! Iceland has disappeared from here too. I thought I would try it out but by the time I did it had gone.

      Delete
  2. I am not brand loyal and always purchase Lidl or Aldi's own marmite. My motor insurance was just over £500 - I thought that was bad enough, but more than a £1,000! I can recall when that sum would purchase a brand new car.
    I didn't vote for Brexit and I wonder how many who did are now regretting doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you miss out the Wilson years and the Blair years in your assessment of the British economy. The Wilson years in particular did much to harm the economy with wages out of control. Brexit accounts for many parts of price rises but is by no means the whole picture. My insurance with NFU has just risen to £610.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'missed out' Wilson and Blair because they are not relevant to what I am talking about, which is more to do with domestic financial affairs rather than the global equivalent - 'selling the family silver' as MacMillan put it. Thatcher did irreparable damage to the society that she did not believe existed by her wholesale program of deregulation and privatisation and now that housing is seen as primarily an investment opportunity, today's young are still living with their parents age 30 and the 'wealth creators' have left the sinking ship now that the returns are no longer great enough for them. Blair (and you know what I think about him) just continued with this irreversible policy just as Starmer will with all the irreversible legislation that Sunak is dreaming up in his final days. She knew what she was doing whereas Wilson did not. I suppose - like Derek Faulkner - you cannot see any reason to regret your vote either?

      Delete
    2. I regret many things. I regret that Cameron became leader of the Conservative party and that Ken Clarke didn't. I regret that Cameron rewarded his back benchers with the Referendum for voting for him. I wish that there had never been a Referendum. My thinking re. Wilson is that without him then there would have been no Thatcher. I think it is too easy to blame Brexit for everything.

      Delete
    3. I am one of many people who voted to remain who does not blame everything on Brexit. Every negative outcome that could be predicted WAS predicted by us, and there are far more things that could not have been predicted which are still coming to light. It really is a case of 'we told you so' again and I am not at all happy about that. If Ken Clarke were allowed to stand again, then I think I would probably vote for him, but never Kier Starmer.

      Delete
  4. Given the market and unreliability of quality in products, I have no brand loyalty. Quality, favorable taste and contents are important and that is what drives my purchase decisions. My car insurance is about $500 for the year and has stayed at that level for a couple years. I tend to agree, overall Brexit has done more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, brands now owned by Unilever (I believe Marmite is one of them) aren't terribly interesting to me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving through Germany once, I saw the headquarters of Bayer in the distance as a huge tower with the name illuminated on it. It must have been hundreds of feet high. You could read it from miles away.

      Delete
  6. I still Marmite and I'm now buying the new variety, Marmite XO Extra Old, longer matured. I voted for Brexit and can't see any reasons to regret that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in hope that one day you will surprise me.

      Delete
  7. Maggie Thatcher was the best PM that I've experienced in my lifetime, really admired her and thanks to her, I've been very comfortable financially ever since and was able to retire 18 years ago aged 59. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I know is the rich get richer and the poor help each other. I put a huge responsibility for the former on that Thatcher lover, Ronald Regan, even if he did invite Princess Diana to dance with Travolta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had to dance with a gay midget called Wayne in this country.

      Delete
  9. Isn't Unilever British or part British ? I think we are OK with Maldon Salt & Tiptree !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete