Thursday 30 November 2023

Christian sacrifice


It is too cold in my unheated workshop to do the last thing to some objects to be delivered (if I can find a truck and HIAB crane) next week, so I am leaving the car parked up and footling about here at home.

Try as I have done, I find it impossible not to get caught up in the mounting frenzy of the build-up to Christmas. It reminds me of the death of Princess Diana all those years ago. I did not think that the British were capable of such unashamed, hysterical displays of mass grief, then I remembered what happened when the death of Sherlock Holmes was announced. Black armbands, the lot.

I have to 'shelter-coat' the pair of composite stone dogs prior to putting them up on a wall. This involves making a sort of paint with very fine stone dusts, putty-lime, very fine aggregate (pumice in this case) and a binding of casein. It must not freeze.

The shelter-coat technique was developed at Wells Cathedral by a Professor Baker, who resurrected the traditional use of real slaked lime which had fallen out of fashion when they marketed Portland cement in the 19th century. He originally called it a 'sacrificial coat', but it was decided by the diocese that the term smacked too much of Paganism to sensitive Christian ears, so was dropped.


24 comments:

  1. Most people can't begin to think about Christmas until we are well into December which is how it should be. People used to bring the tree in on Christmas Eve ......for some, it now goes up at the beginning of November which is ridiculous.
    You know so many processes when it comes to your job. Did you learn them all at college or have you learnt some along the way ? You are so skilled. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All on the way. Nobody learns anything at art school...

      Delete
    2. You learn things at art school but they have little to do with art. For instance, I learnt that shagging was very popular amongst both students and staff.

      Delete
    3. That's true. I spent most of my time learning sculptural techniques from the technicians.

      Delete
    4. The technicians kept the whole thing gping.

      Delete
  2. The more frenzy appears the less I am interested...I am sticking to Yuletide and quietly doing our thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone near here has put up 28,000 lights on their house.

      Delete
  3. Live and let live. I find most people just do their own thing for Christmas. The dog sculptures look quite regal. Placing them sounds like a project by itself. Truck plus a crane. That is lots of equipment. What color will the wash create?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks as if the dogs were made in two or three pieces. Am I seeing correctly? It's nice they are two different dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are seeing correctly, but what you can see are the mould lines. I have filled and fettled them now so that they won't be visible.

      Delete
  5. Every year I am jealous anew of this enthusiasm before Christmas. It is such a beautiful holiday to me with all the things that go with it. But maybe what you see from here you don't see from there. or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like Christmas. It was a Pagan festival originally to help us through the long, cold winters - a bit like how the Northern Canadians stop cabin-fever.

      Delete
  6. How odd for. a church to dislike the word sacrifice ? Very interesting. As for Christmas, it's a long month for one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Church is a little paranoid and over sensitive.

      Delete
  7. Those dogs are wonderful. As far as Christmas? I think everyone needs to do it the way that works for them. I usually really enjoy finding the perfect gifts for everyone. I generally find joy in the foo-frah. If ever comes a time that I don't, well, I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a few years ignoring it, then along came the grandchildren...

      Delete
  8. I like the dogs they remind me of the medieval dogs you see at the foot of the old knights tombstones. Well apart from money, which I always give to the children to buy what they want, this year I have bought 8 different candle holders, with candles, to meditate on the way the world is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original dogs are about 1640.

      Delete
    2. !!!!!! Wow. That's impressive. Talbot hounds?

      Delete
    3. Yes, Talbots. The breed is now extinct.

      Delete
    4. I saw a statue of one in Chester and they had write up about them.

      Delete
  9. I'm always really interested to see what you are doing, Tom, and think that you must keep the name, 'sacrificial coat' alive!
    Also want to give a spirited defence of an art school education. It taught me a lot, especially the essential ability to stand back and develop constructive self criticism. (Also how to grind our own pigments and temper our carving tools in the foundry, non of your modern day art- farty rubbish.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a couple good tutors and I was a bad student.

      Delete