Friday 27 January 2023

Vanished ladies

During these short, dark, cold days I often think of that particular bygone breed of elderly English ladies who would spend the Winter in Southern France and return to England when the weather improved at  Springtime.

Of course, they had to be moderately wealthy to do this, and were spinsters or widows of means. Only the nouveau riche or recently retired would take their husbands to British enclaves in Spain or Portugal, and most of them have been impoverished by the Lloyds collapse which gobbled up their pensions and investments. 

I think these charming old women must have all died out now and I miss them. They represented a much more gracious era than the one we live in today, or so it seems to me. They had a discreet style.

I met two of them once in one town - Marlborough, the home of one of the most expensive and exclusive schools outside Eton. They were not connected.

Lady Darwin was an elegantly dressed little woman with a quiet and very posh voice. She commissioned me to make a simple pedestal sundial as a birthday present for her nearest neighbour in Marlborough. We discussed the design and price and it was agreed that I would deliver it after she had left for the South of France in a month or so. She paid up front because making a bank transfer from another country was not her style.

I only met her that one time, and her parting words to me before she left my workshop were, "Oh, and Mr Stephenson, if you let me down I will kill you."

This was said with such a sweet smile.

20 comments:

  1. Tom I am quite relieved - I thought you were going to say that she died before you could finish it. Lovely - now I an think of it sitting in a garden somewhere in Marlborough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it disintegrated. It was a bad block of stone.

      Delete
  2. I would love to go somewhere warm for the winter months. Nice will do nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet the two old ladies had been to the Polly Tea Rooms, just like Miss Marple in her adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other old lady lived in the hotel on the other side of the road from the Polly, the one with the ball and castle (can't remember the name - Ball and Castle??) She came down to her afternoon tea when I was having my own. I like the Polly. Packed full of rich kids and their parents.

      Delete
  4. Style and grace are a rarity today. As much as we all like to think, money does not matter, it does and if it is old money it shows in subtle discreet ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lady. I assume you delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always liked Marlborough which is said to have the widest high street in southern Britain, a relic of the old sheep markets/fairs. John Betjeman was sent to Marlborough School and hated every minute of it. he was very much not a "hearty" and eschewed games and such. But he became a pretty good poet and Poet Laureate and was universally loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people know (here we go...) that there was a large massacre of Jews in Marlborough about the same time as the one in York. The Christians borrowed a lot of money from them when it was a proper market town and did not want to pay it back.

      Delete
  7. I adore those elegant ladies - and their humour. At the moment I re-read "Excellent Women" by Barbara Pym - very funny - and they, though maybe socially two classes lower, belong (in a different way) also to "remarkable spinsters."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. they are remarkable no matter what social level they are on.

      Delete