Sunday 4 December 2022

Let it snow


Everyone here is making up for the lost covid years. About 40% of accents heard on the street are Welsh at the moment. They love the Christmas market stalls and cross the Severn Bridge to get here in their thousands.

Santa's steam train also belches out real snow and some sort of greenish foam which looks as though it was designed for Halloween. I thought I had captured the snow, but obviously not. 

I tend to shut down at this time of the year. I sometimes think it would be good to take all Winter off, which I might well do - to a certain extent - this time. My friends with open fires are complaining that most of the heat goes up the chimney. Their workshops are fitted with wood burners which are far more effective. My little Hungarian stove in mine has now disintegrated. It's bleak in there.

12 comments:

  1. I love England in December. The holiday decor in the city is outstanding. Add a high tea to take the Winter chill off every afternoon and all is well. I'm sure you can identify a good replacement stove. Something with lovely character and good function. The warmth and glow from a stove is so enjoyed. Eliminate all bleakness. Happy Christmas. Taking Winter off sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my time there is limited. I can survive another winter without heat.

      Delete
  2. My elderly neighbours told me last week that they had been to Bath Christmas Market. I was shocked. They said a bus trip left from the next village and I could have gone. They said they were disappointed. 5 hours there and 5 hours back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot understand people who come from hundreds of miles away for the market. I hate it. I am always glad when it's gone.

      Delete
  3. I love Bath, but have never been in the winter. It's a bit far from my part of Wales. Actually, I don't think I've ever been to a Christmas market either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I was a working artist, I often took December off. People were done with serious gift shopping by then and only looking for seasonal items: candles, decorations and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, December is a time when nobody decides on anything practical.

      Delete
  5. Yes Tom, I too would like to be able to hibernate like a bear through the drab winter months. my "black dog" seems to surface through this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I enjoy it. I became quite fond of the week of thick mist we have just had and I love being shut down by snow.

      Delete
  6. agree this time of year is horrible - a wood burner would help,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like a wood burner in the flat, but there are about 100 reasons why this will never happen.

      Delete