Saturday 27 August 2022

In search of the Golden Section


One good thing about Instagram is the age mix - well, two good things really. You are not supposed to drone on too much about whatever picture you put up and people can take it or leave it.

Yesterday I typed in the name of a young (40+ - that's young) friend who I know sells many of his paintings there, and found him at the first try. I sent him the sort of message we have been sending each other by text for years now, and he responded in a similar way. Basically, we have been trying to get each other to admit to being gay and have done since we first met about 25 years ago. Childish, I know, but it amuses us.

I began following him immediately and was delighted when his latest post appeared on my phone. His posts are all his paintings - which I like - and this one is the latest. Someone had actually commented on the pink of the waiter's jacket and he responded by saying that the pink was HIS secret. I left a comment about his pink not being a secret in my household. Once again, we laughed.

I began using Instagram on the advice of Step Daughter. 'People make a lot of money by it', she said, Jonathan sells most of his paintings there.' Jonathan painted the above. She said that doing Instagram properly was quite hard, time consuming work, but she has never tried blogging. It is a doddle compared to writing this.

I decided to set up an account for H.I. but fell at the first hurdle. Her paintings are always proportioned to approximately Golden Section, but Instagram has its own cropping procedure which you cannot circumnavigate. You follow the instructions to post up a picture and when it comes to the cropping option 'original' it chops off the top and bottom. This means - until I can find a way of fixing the problem - that all of her paintings would be detail only, and that is no use to anyone. As far as I can tell, Instagram is designed to optimise photographs of girls legs on beaches with the sea showing between their knees.

I went back to Jonathan's site just to look at his stats and to my utter incredulity saw that he has 25,000 followers. 25K! I have about a hundred, which I thought was not bad considering I have only been there for a month or two.

I sent him a message (privately) asking if they were all gay and he replied that a good proportion of them probably were. The next question I am going to ask him is how you go about having that many followers. Even if only one buys a painting every now and then, that is your living sorted out. I have already made a sale through Instagram (the Cotham Marble) so I am quite hopeful about the future in one way. Soon I will be too old for this stone lark. I am already.

18 comments:

  1. If you don't complain (or brag) about it, nobody on Instagram will know how old you are - and it doesn't matter anyway. Selling your art matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just talking about doing the work. Anyway, most of my followers know how old I am.

      Delete
    2. "Soon I will be too old for this stone lark. I am already" - for some things I do I think that too - but then I forget deliberately that thought of being too old for something - and then I CAN do it (though I can not carry blocks of marble - but that I never (!) could)

      Delete
    3. It's the blocks of stone that cause me problems.

      Delete
  2. I like not having to explain anything about my myself or my work on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only bit of that painting i like is the waiter's jacket and in any case I have no rom on my walls for another painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is called something like 'Pink Jacket'.

      Delete
  4. This is interesting about Instagram for buying and selling art. Possibly your gay/not gay friend could provide tips on how to show HI's work on Instagram; it sounds like he's got the process mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd get so irritated with instagram if I had it. Sometimes my wife's phone makes numerous 'message received' noises one after the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can easily turn those noises and notifications off.

      Delete
  6. Not like he needs my feedback, but I really like Jonathan's use of colo(u)r. 25k is a lot of followers. I think I have, like, 100 followers and I sell nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only have an account ( long forgotten) in order to stalk someone

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Jonathan's painting ...... has a Jazz Age feel to it. I don't like the colour pink but I think it was a great choice for the guys jacket.
    All of these social media sites need a lot of attention and hard work to make them viable. I just do them for something to do and to keep up with modern technology so, it doesn't matter for me. When I started my blog 13 years ago, a blogger told me to comment, comment comment and to follow, follow follow ...... I did that and got over 2,000 followers.. Then, for some strange reason, Google took lots of followers away but I've still got over 1600. I don't get many new followers now though as blogging is old hat now when it comes to social media. If I was to follow more blogs I would get more followers but, I can't be bothered. Nowadays, I just like the blogs that I like and am not really worried about followers but, if it's ones business, you need to get yourself out there. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like pink? But you're a girl! If you are doing Instagram for work, then followers are essential. With blogging it's just gratifying.

      Delete