Saturday 7 August 2021

Tom's post


I have had quite a while to think about this one. Almost every night a fresh approach appears to me as if in a dream but, as with dreams, they dissipate like Summer mists in the morning.

Quite a few of my posts have begun by leaning out of the window. Just now that is what I did and this is what I saw. A large party of disparate people unified by some sort of dress-code, slowly promenading toward the river, where they stood with their backs to it for a while as if posing for a photo before slowly promenading in the opposite direction. No rush.

At first I thought it was a wedding, but now I am not so sure. A couple of the older men were wearing black shirts with white ties, like mature Bugsy Malone characters. Most of the men carried umbrellas which they self-consciously swung and tapped on the pavement with each step. They were all paired-up and deep in conversation. I wonder what brought them together and what the written instructions were. I hope I never find out.

While all of you have been doing my real work, I have been been crawling up and down 50 stone steps on my hands and knees by way of penance - not for something I did, but for something I didn't do. With a bit of luck I will have served out my sentence by the end of next week - until the next judgement. My life is similar to the rollicking 18th century diary of a rake right now, but without the rollicks or the occasional bouts of good fortune brought about by fickle fate.

There have been unexpected positive spin-offs from this job. I expected it to cripple me for what is left of my life, but in fact it has greatly enhanced my sense of balance and gone some way in compensating for my delinquent feet, which do not always do what they are told and refuse to wear sensible shoes.

Try as you might, it is hard not to enjoy a good Summer. By 'good' I don't mean three months of relentless sunshine, but a good English Summer with liberal sprinklings of nourishing rain from majestic white clouds hiding silver linings.

H.I. begins the last of her Summer schools next week, and then we can look forward to the first hint of Autumn carried on the late August breeze. This is the time we usually go to another country to see how they do it, but not this year for reasons which many people seem to have ignored. I like hotels, but I would not want to spend ten days and £1700 being locked up in one for the safety of others.

Was it really two years ago that we went to Venice in the Winter? Was it more? I can calculate between Augusts, but not August to Christmas. It is a totally different mind-set and I cannot switch mid-term.

It was in Venice that my feet became stroppy and refused to wear proper shoes. Like teenagers being dragged around art galleries by their parents, they did nothing but complain for the whole holiday. I have been arguing with them ever since, but now they think they are too old to be told what to do. This is a problem for me. I have always looked down on old men in trainers. You can - usually - tell a lot about men in their choice of footwear.

Enjoy yourselves.

36 comments:

  1. It will be 3 years ago this December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey, OK, so you don't normally like my opinions but I liked this post, I can identify with the emotion and thoughts within it. I would also suggest that Autumn is already here, or at least it is here in North Kent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Autumn, but I don't want to wish it on early. I still think that Boris Johnson is an irresponsible arse and Priti Patel is a deranged psychopath though. Identify with that.

      Delete
    2. Well I'm beginning to come over to your opinion of Boris, as for Priti Patel, I don't have an opinion either way.

      Delete
    3. His latest joke about Margaret Thatcher beginning the fight against global warming by closing the coal mines was particularly choice I thought, especially because he did not mention the fact that Britain imported coal from other countries rather than let Scargil win in their personal vendetta against each other. He must be still riding high on support from the Northern safe Labour seats if he thinks he can get away with that one.

      Delete
  3. Relatable! My knees are so janky right now, I can barely lift my feet, making it really hard to move on stage. I plant my feet and dance on the spot like a toddler. Such is old age.
    Great that you are gaining from the experience!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I have always danced. What does diminishing 3 mean? (I can't find the special characters)

      Delete
  4. Just as long as you're not mentioning the "mists and mellow fruitfulness" yet....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crocs with holes in the heel….what dies that say ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you know the answer to that question. Most people think that Crocs should not be worn outside the house by anyone over the age of 7.

      Delete
  6. I am quite partial to men whatever they are wearing on their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm...something related to academia?

    Everyone of any age seems to be wearing trainers..so I wouldn't worry about that.
    I just wear the shoes for the job....heavy walking...walking boots..otherwise trainers for walking.
    Jandals ( or flipflops or thongs, depending where you are from!) most of the time.
    Barefoot whenever possible!!

    The smell of autumn has arrived here....but the brambles are still green..I think we could do with a bit more sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wearing the shoes for my job exclusively for almost three years, even when I am not working. I cannot wear anything else and still walk. They are fur-lined boots and I wear them right through the summer/s.

      Delete
    2. In your job that sounds very sensible.

      Delete
    3. It isn't sensible when going to parties though.

      Delete
  8. <3 is usually meant as a heart symbol. At least that is how I take it over here in the Southwestern US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't even use emojis in earnest.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy a good British summer too - so much better than the months of grey that seem the default.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be thinking of a traditional British Winter - all six months of it.

      Delete
  10. Like you, I hope to travel again one day but the current circumstances halt my interest. Your work on the stairs sounds demanding. Yet if it improved your balance that's good. My neighbor and son swear by Rockport shoes. I'm told they provide comfort and good support, especially when on your feet a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this job is both demanding on me and my long-suffering clients. I think the only shoes I could comfortably get away with wearing now are the sort which hippies used to wear in the 70's, which we all disparagingly called 'pasties'.

      Delete
  11. No rollicking nor fickle fate fortune leaves great hair, neckerchiefs and chamber pots. Sounds alright to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I imagine the penance is for not wearing proper shoes in Venice. Now, what are you doing at the top of fifty stairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes I wore in Venice cost me £450 and had hitherto been the most comfortable shoes I had ever worn. I'm blaming the feet. I am going from the top to the bottom and then back up again - about 30 times per day.

      Delete
    2. But, what are you doing at the top?

      Delete
  13. Being comfortable on your feet is way too important, so invest in trainers and distract anyone who looks down at your feet to look up at the wit of your speech ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wear my expensive footwear, hardly anyone looks at them anyway. Once or twice a sharp-eyed observer would compliment me on them.

      Delete
  14. I know, Tom, that you own those wonderful shoes you once posted about - and I share your love of shoes, BUT -- but I concluded a honourable peace with my high-heels and stilettos (found out that some high heels are only intended for wearing while lolling on the bed - no comments allowed).
    Meaning: I still don't wear over-sensible shoes (because in older days they were THE metaphor for being old) - but go for compromise (in Berlin you have, there I walk so much - and in Bavaria you must when you walk 10.000 steps a day, hills up and down, chasing triplets)
    And sneakers look fabulous - I watch out for slim ones more in the form of a French tennis shoe - and abhor these huge plateau-soles as we called them- to me they always look like orthopaedic shoes.
    I am glad you could press a bit of gold out of your momentary job (gold as metaphor!), and hope H.I. and you enjoy your enviable English Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneakers and high-heels can look fine on women. There was a shoe-shop here which catered for women (or trannies) with size 12 feet. My feet are size 12 (46) and the most elegant shoes look like small boats in that fitting.

      Delete
    2. I see the problem (son is 2,02m - his feet are large of course) - so don't wear white (but you are an artist and will know that white engages the impression).
      I am 1,78m and quite proud of tiny feet (37 - now 38 through the large weight of son in my belly - when he was born he had 4020 gram, that made a forecast for the size of his shoes and enlarged mine...)

      Delete