Tuesday 10 August 2021

Another ancient mystery


Do you remember the lovely church at South Wraxall that I have posted about? And do you remember me wondering what on earth the little oak door was for right at the top of the ancient tower, leading out to nowhere in particular?


Well I went up to it today (using scaffold - I'm not that brave) and took this photo.

Bear in mind that the small door opens out on to a ledge which is about 2 feet wide. You most certainly would not want to climb out of it unless suicidal.

Inside - I am told - there is a series of beams which could have supported a floor at some point, and the space has to be accessed by a ladder. The tower is the oldest part of the church, and probably dates from the  11th or 12th century (update - English Heritage reckons it is 13th century), possibly older before alterations. The 17th or 18th century bells are below the space up there.

Any ideas?

17 comments:

  1. Can't possibly imagine but what a pretty little church it is Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some ideas, but I will save them until others have theirs.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your blog Tom, I especially like your puzzles.
    I suggest that that little door, is for some unfortunate soul to climb into from the outside. They would have to check the bells/rope and bearings.
    For example, it's not unknown for a bell to be stuck in the upright position.
    Are you making sure that there is no movement in the tower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it was to facilitate some rebuilding of the tower many centuries ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a lookout post in troubled times while the villagers huddled in the church...or for throwing buckets of water onto the roof if it caight fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did bell-ringers of old hang out of the opening with a hand-bell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the door facilitates some aspect of church maintenance. I'd like to know what exists inside the oak door. The church looks nicely maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My surmise was more sinister, and so I'll keep it to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Susan. Could it be to facilitate putting equipment there from the outside, perhaps needed to install the bells?

    It is directly above the ridge of the roof so maybe scaffolding from there. By its position it would be more use for entry than exit.

    Isn't there anyone local (vicar?) who could enlighten you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Access to the tower roof and the bits and bobs (technical term) on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts were the same as 'No Roots'. In my own church, we have access to our bells. It is done from the inside of the church, via a set of narrow but steep stairs, which leads you up to a heavy door to finally reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was there a flag pole on the roof

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely little church ..... an unusual tower as well ? Have no idea what the door is for but handy if you wanted to jump ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry if this is a duplicate - having trouble leaving a comment. I think it could be an ancient look out. The area is prone to rapid flooding, so the Lord of the Manor could be told about the state of his land and the peasants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a bit knackered tonight, so I will respond to all these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that the small doorway has something to do with the hanging and maintenance of the bells. Perhaps the top section of the tower is a later addition to the building and workmen could enter and exit through this doorway without disturbing the original structure.

    ReplyDelete