Tuesday 25 May 2021

I don't like cricket


Driving back into town, I would often see Clarence waiting for me in the window seat of the pub, his 6' 5" lanky frame folded up so his knees were almost under his chin. He liked to keep a lookout.

I think that one of the reasons he liked me was that I was probably the only person who could effortlessly understand his Jamaican way of talking, unaltered by all the years he had been here since arriving as a teenager. He would often turn to me to translate after several exasperating attempts to get a point over to one of the other regulars.

He had chronic heart problems and told me that he had been used as a pioneer for radical new surgery, showing me massive scars on his chest from neck to solar plexus. One day he got back from a check-up and said that the doctor told him that he now had a pig's heart. I said he may have a pig's heart valve, but not the whole heart. He liked the idea of the whole heart and insisted that his story was true.

I put his trust to the test once. He was an Admiralty driver. He drove a huge black limousine for high-ranking naval officers who need a lift from station to station and he sometimes brought the car to the pub. He didn't drink much at all.

One day I asked to borrow it to see how it performed. He gave me a long, hard stare and without a word he tossed the keys on the table in front of me. I got in and drove it up Lansdown hill toward one of the many MOD camps which used to exist in Bath following WW2. About half way up I realised what I had done. If I had been spotted he would have certainly lost his job and would probably have been deported to a country he had not seen for about 40 years. I returned the car and the keys as quickly as possible.

I asked him to come to Hamburg with me, but he quietly refused. I kept asking him until he finally admitted that he believed that they would not let him back into the UK if he should ever leave it. At the time I did not believe him, but recent events have made this the most likely outcome. He was Windrush generation.

Clarence loved cricket. One Saturday night the phone rang and I heard him ask in a falsetto voice and his idea of an English accent, "Is Mr Stephenson there please?"  I said, 'Hello Clarence' and he said "How you know it was me?"

He was one man short of a cricket team and asked if I would play the next day. I said I had no interest in cricket and hadn't played since school days. By way of a challenge he accused me of being scared of the ball, but I did not give in and stayed home that Sunday.

That night the phone rang and another member of the cricket team told me that Clarence had dropped dead on the field with a massive heart-attack.

A few weeks later I played a cricket match in his honour and the very first ball was a full sixer batted straight at me from a distance of 15 feet. I did not get out of the way. It hurt. I wanted to prove to him that I was not scared of the ball.

26 comments:

  1. Eccentrics are the best. I wish I was one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom what a charming story - as Tasker above says - eccentrics are the very best, I too have always wished I was one but then my normal self pushes its way in and makes me realise that I love clothes, hairdo's and 'normal' life too much. Maybe after another ten yearss if I am still here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be remembered after you are gone. I enjoyed Clarence's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of late I have been pondering about what it is to be 'gone'. I believe we have been gone for longer than we have been here, and the amount of times we leave are uncountable.

      Delete
  4. A man you don't want to forget.
    Sounds like the Jim we know from London, also here since very young.
    An honourable caring man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarence was one of the most honourable men I have ever met.

      Delete
  5. Clarence sounded a really nice guy ….. It seems as if you both got on really well. I’m sure you miss him. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sounds like a gentle giant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story - I too can't abide cricket but I guess each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be selective about my obsessions. Cricket got ousted quite early on.

      Delete
  8. Clarence sounds like someone it would have been a pleasure to meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was. He was not perfect, just like the rest of us.

      Delete
  9. Good writing about somebody I think I would have got on with .I like you keeping the faith and taking the hit - would have made him smile .
    Funny what people think of as eccentric .
    Liked the comment you made about the number of times we leave being unaccountable .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to think that we have all died many times before, and I am not talking about reincarnation.

      Delete
  10. You’ve done something right when people remember you fondly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have more influence on the world - for good or ill -than we sometimes give ourselves credit for.

      Delete
  11. Friends like Clarence are priceless. They must almost be curated. Would you every write about how you were able to be his Jamaican translator? Where did your understanding come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick with understanding people who have a strong accent is to listen to the words, not the accent. Clarence once asked me what someone we both knew did for a living by saying, "What he does?"

      Delete
  12. Clarence seems like a very genuine person and your bond sounds extra special. His spirit lives on when you write about him. I, too, now like Clarence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story and what a wonderful person to have known.

    ReplyDelete