Thursday 1 April 2021

Lime


For some reason, none of your posts are loading on my reading list. I wonder if mine is showing up on yours?

Yesterday I finish the little job in town. I would have finished it earlier, but something is quietly draining the battery on my car. I should have taken notice of the 'low voltage' warning on the dashboard earlier, and I should have taken notice of the 'alarm system service needed' one earlier still, but I have never trusted this car to tell me the truth ever since I bought it for twice its worth from a shabby and dishonest Australian a couple of years ago.

This little job involved the application of proper lime mortar. I don't mean the inferior French hydraulic lime that is reluctantly used by English masons because they cannot be bothered with the faff involved in using putty lime. 

Real slaked lime is a magical material which has been used in building since Roman times and before. You quarry white chalk, heat in a kiln for hours until it becomes quick lime, then you put it into a container (or pit if you need a lot of it) and drench it with water. When the water has stopped boiling (yes, it really does boil) you are left with young putty lime. Depending on the sort of application, you can use it immediately or let it mature for a period of years if the highest quality is required. The lime I used on this latest job was too good for it, having matured for about 40 years. When I bought it, it had been matured for 15 years already, and that was about 25 years ago. It is creamier than cream.

Mature lime is best for small, intricate repairs which need to stay strong and resilient to exposure, and young lime is good for rough and ready mortars which can afford to take their time in improving themselves.

There is a technique called 'lime poulticing' which does a variety of things to the stone which the poultice is applied. I cannot be bothered to explain just what it does, but some time ago (like everything else these days) I lime-poulticed that frieze of classical figures on the Guildhall in Bath above.

You have bags of quick lime bits which up until the point of use, you must keep dry. Fires can be started by a bit of water getting into a bag of quick lime. I almost burnt down the tower of Banwell church once from a sack of lime which let in the rain.

You have a steel dustbin which you fill about one third with water. You carefully pour in about half a sack of quick lime, then slam the lid on it. In a matter of seconds it begins to boil so furiously that the lid rattles up and down, threatening to blow off completely.

When it stops boiling and before it cools down, you dig it out by the trowel-full  and slap it with some force against the stone to a thickness of 2 inches, making sure to get it into the crevices. You then cover it with sackcloth and plastic and leave it alone to do its thing for about a week.

When I was doing the frieze above, I was on my own and the light was failing, so I was rushing to finish the job. I slapped on one load and a large gobbet of boiling hot, caustic lime went straight into my eye. I ran for the hose and turned it on my eye at full force for minutes until the pain subsided.

The eye was red and swollen for a few days, but I didn't lose sight in it.

Moral: Always wear goggles.


39 comments:

  1. I wouldn't want any quicklime. Too dangerous for me.
    One Blogger thing I have noticed is that I'm no longer receiving emails when comments are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some acid which I feel the same way about. My email address attached to this log has long since disappeared.

      Delete
  2. You are still showing in my following list.
    Yes, too easy to think only a quick job, don't need all the safety gear. Sod's Law that is when things happen

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say in answer to that lime story is - you do lead an exciting life down there in Bath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I have never heard of this. We once used a wood finish that we got from Tim's cousin at his store. He cautioned us against leaving the old rags around lest they burst into flame (he had lost a work truck that way). That was scary enough. I will take a pass on the lime although I am headed off to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a wonder you've still got an eyeball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that things can be so dangerous!

    You almost became the one-eyed-wonder of the quick lime world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband used to get hot metal in his eye due to his job and always went to Moorfields when it happened ... did you get it looked at ?
    We watched Gyles Brandreth In Search of Jane Austen and he went to see Zack Pinsent, the guy you saw who dresses in Regency clothes !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need a doctor to look into my eye when I can look out of it. What did your husband do? I am now much more familiar with Zack Pinsent than I was a week ago.

      Delete
  8. So much knowledge and professionalism in this amazing job that you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mind if I use that as a testimonial, Yael?

      Delete
    2. I really meant what I wrote and if my English is good enough I definitely agree.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Yael. My spell check now recognises your name!

      Delete
    4. It took it 5 years i think...

      Delete
  9. I can now see all your posts again, so I am going to spend a happy hour or so reading them tomorrow on my Good Friday break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goggles are surely a modern invention? Either craftsmen were pretty careful using lime over the millennia or burnt off bits of person were worn as a badge of membership to the guild. You were lucky! But what a thrill to get up close with that frieze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancient goggles were discs of metal with tiny holes in them. It reduced the chances but not by100%.

      Delete
  11. The Bath Guildhall is a beautiful building with so much character.
    The columns, windows and frieze of figures are quite remarkable. (Boston, MA buildings are bland and ordinary in comparison.) Not being familiar with lime-poultice: Does the lime application fully restore and protect the figures? Hazards of the job...luckily your eye is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lime poultice is mainly for neutralising corrosive acids which have built up on the surface of the stone. Lime is highly alkali so prevents the acids from coal smoke and car fumes from eating away at it. The main part of our guildhall is 18th century, but two additions were build either side of it in the 19th.

      Delete
  12. The Guildhall is a lovely building. Was the lime repair to the band of figures around the middle? I don't see much else that would require such a dangerous restoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was on the frieze of figures. They are about 2 thirds life size. It doesn't have to be as dangerous as I made it.

      Delete
  13. It's so interesting to have a craftsman talk about his work and even more interesting to see one in action.

    I used to be a blacksmith. My socks were full of burn holes from welding scatter. I had "arc eye" a few times from not getting the eyeshield up in time when arc welding. Stuff in the eyes frequently - always an A&E visit and usually drawn out with a magnet. One can get too casual with frequent use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the idea of magnets used for motes of iron, but I think they take your eyeball out and wash it for non-ferrous. I suppose you know that most eye shields now are made from a material which responds instantly to light by darkening itself. What a great invention. All that fumbling around with a welding rod with your eyes closed, only to open them just at the wrong second is now a thing of the past.

      Delete
  14. I thought quicklime was used to dispose of the murdered body in Victorian England but not so. Everyone is right you are a very clever craftsman and are living in exactly the right spot to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you ever think about retirement, just wondering

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess it's better than exterior polyfilla then? Most everyday DIY stuff I've ever bought has been useless (stuff to paint sheds with, so-called weedkiller, etc)

    I was reminded of making vinegar and baking soda rockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been tried and tested for about 5000 years. The Minoans invented concrete with it because one of the best ingredients to add is volcanic ash. The word 'concrete' comes from Crete. The best products are usually the most simple - like baking soda and vinegar rockets.

      Delete
  17. I am always cheered when you talk about your work. On glum days I think that British knowledge and craftsmanship is a thing of the past and then you write a piece like this and I feel much more positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not dying out - collectively speaking.

      Delete
  18. How very dynamic! I am intrigued by something setting on fire when you add water to it!!! It's like nobody ever told lime the rules!
    I'm glad you saved your eye and decided to wear protective eye covers in future <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Romans said that it released all the heat it absorbed from the kiln - Earth, Air, Fire and Water etc.

      Delete