Saturday 19 September 2020

A rose by any other name


Has anyone been watching 'Harlots'? I've watched a few (episodes), but I have a low tolerance for cod historical  dialogue, and when someone was offered a slice of sultana sponge with the words, 'Have some seed-cake', I got up and went into the kitchen to read H.V.Morton. I used to love seed cake.

When one of the lesbian harlots suddenly morphed into a Keith Richards/Johnny Depp character as a land-locked pirate, that put a strain on my suspended disbelief too. It was hanging by a thread. I can't help but think the series is piggy-backing on the wonderful  (I would say inimitable, but didn't Phoebe Waller-Bridge give the second series to her friend to write?) 'Fleabag', and I can't help but make the comparison. Sorry.

So, here's a recipe for seed cake like my mother used to make... only joking. I haven't quite turned into Miles Jupp in 'In and Out of the Kitchen' yet, although I am going to make another pair of quince tarts this weekend - one for the allotmentier who grew them.

I was teaching a young mason how to carve a large stone panel depicting one of the four seasons that I had designed recently, and we moved onto the part which had a pair of quince dangling suggestively from the stylised branch arrangement which framed it.

He had never even heard of quince let alone seen a fruit, so I had to talk him through the little differences between them and pears when it comes to a three-dimensional representation in stone. I had photos, but when you get down to it there is very little useful information to be gleaned from a photograph. It was the wrong season for quince, so I couldn't show him one in the flesh.

"The underneath of the quince has a deep depression where the flower used to be, and as the fruit swells and develops, it forms creased lumps and nodules around it which are much more pronounced than a pear".

Eventually it was decided I would carve one fruit while he was at lunch, then he could simply copy it when he got back. The German word for sculptor is Bild Hauer - literally 'picture hewer'. 

When he returned we talked about the fat quince I had chopped from the block, and I suggested that he get a picture in his mind of what the various shapes reminded him of, then say the word out loud occasionally as he was carving to keep the image in his mind. This is a good trick which aids concentration when transposing thought into form.

He stared at the underside of my quince for a few moments then said, "I'm sorry, but all I can think of is that it looks like an arsehole".

So he carved a perfectly good quince into the stone whilst mumbling arsehole... arsehole... to himself all afternoon.

The trouble is that I am now cursed with spending the rest of my life thinking about arseholes whenever I look at a quince. The tarts still taste good though.

35 comments:

  1. As usual Tom, you made me laugh. And do I remember seed cake? It used to be a staple at all our sunday school tea parties - it was delicious. I have never seen any for years - the taste, the smell - oh how it brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I keep thinking I must make some. What could be simpler?

      Delete
  2. I’ve recorded Harlots but haven’t watched any yet which probably means I’m not really that fussed ! I sort of understand the ‘ keep talking to yourself whilst doing something ‘. When I go up the ladder to prune the roses, I repeat out loud, ‘ don’t fall off, don’t fall off ‘ !!! Your quince tart must have been a great success to be making two more. Harlots and tarts ... a good analogy ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say things like that as well. iF i imagine a disaster - either to me or usually someone else - I say NO to banish it.

      Delete
  3. I used to make seed cake regularly and gave the recipe to a cousin. Close in age, we had been friends since childhood. She loved the cake and made it regularly. She died just before Christmas over 30 years ago, and I've not made seed cake since. Too many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father could not eat liver and bacon after my mother died, because it was her favourite meal. I understand this.

      Delete
    2. Actually, liver and onions. No bacon.

      Delete
  4. Well it used to be called ducks arse , according to our coalman 74 years ago. My mother was not amused !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of haircuts called that, but not actually arses.

      Delete
  5. A fat quince was mentioned

    I put my hand up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Grinling Gibbons used to mutter "arsehole" when he was carving certain of those fruits out of limewood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In some places they are known as cats arses .
    Which Morton book/s do you recommend - was there one about London - can't remember the title .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are around 4 concerning London. They are all interesting. It was his home territory, as it is Peter Ackroyd's. I have many books about London for some reason.

      Delete
    2. In particular I like 'In Search of England', which I have already covered.

      Delete
    3. cats arse=medlar .Have made preserves from both , so ,oops !

      Have found a folio society copy of " in search of "on our shelves . Will start there . Good illustrations by Peter Bailey but introduction by Simon Jenkins , who appears to know everything about everything - which must be nice for him .

      Delete
    4. Have ordered one of the London books - seems to be two groups of books or maybe new revised additions ? Late 1920's and in the 40's ?

      Delete
    5. What's the title? There are many reprints of his books because they were so popular.

      Delete
    6. " The spell of London ".
      Did I get a good one and is there one that's second cousin to " In search of England " ?

      Delete
    7. I have it, but have yet to read it.

      Delete
    8. There are about 4 more books on London.

      Delete
  8. What a great photo! Blokey and artistic rolled into one. Is this your workshop? I see a coloured pic of some pears/quince on the whiteboard. So few cues to end up with such elaborate works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it - blokey and artistic is how it felt. No, it's not my workshop. I have handled enough quince to be able to visualise one easily. The same with pheasant. Pulling something apart is a good way of studying it, which I suppose is what the old dissection lessons were all about.

      Delete
  9. Try In Search of Wales. That one is interesting.I like in Search of England best tho. In Search of Scotland turned more into a history book, instead of a travel book. Bit boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get onto Wales and Scotland when I have finished London.

      Delete
  10. Harlots is a bit like a Georgette Heyer book and bonking mix ;) Not sure what was its point, not a particularly good drama, a chance to get out all the dresses and wigs I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! What an unfortunate association to now have. Incidentally, Bildhauerei is the 'fancy' way one says 'sculpture' in German. Great visual that.

    ReplyDelete