Tuesday 9 June 2020

Law and order

Being a revolting student in 1968, I remember the London demonstrations well. Whilst many took to the streets against the Vietnam war, I only attended a couple of peaceful rallies to support the sacked teachers in art schools (mine was Guildford) and universities. I hated - and still hate - violence, so when I was warned what would happen at Grosvenor Square, I stayed well away from the Capital.

The sit-in students at Guildford slowly dwindled to a small handful of stoics, of which I was one. For a whole Summer, Guildford college was packed with hundreds of young (and some old) people who stayed up right through the night discussing anything and everything, but then people dropped away through fatigue and stress-related illness, leaving me and about five others locked-up alone in the vast, empty building.

We turned in on ourselves and, one by one, my fellow students decided the the only road open to them was Anarchy and violence. That is when I left the building, but not before I had been offered a working, vintage sub-machine gun - with ammunition - by one of my fellows. I was only 16 and I went home to my parents. Even if I wanted one, £100 was a lot of money then.

It is a sad fact that it is pretty much impossible to hold a peaceful demonstration anywhere now without it being hi-jacked by a handful violent people who - whether or not they call themselves Anarchists - just love a riot for its own sake - like football grounds used to host. I am not talking about pulling down statues of dubious dignitaries, I mean violence against people - police or civilians.

Although associated with riots, looting is a separate issue - it's more opportunist theft. What I can never understand is why people always trash and loot their own neighbourhoods, but I assume that when locals see outsiders doing it, they just join in because they like the idea of a new TV, some new clothes or an expensive pair of trainers. Their lifestyle is determined by short-term profiteers a long way away from their neighbourhood and - as they see it - a riot could be the only way of improving it. They do not think of the shopkeepers who are their real neighbours, but they should.

Throwing Colston into the dock would not have happened if it had been taken down months ago as planned. 35,000 people would still be alive now if the government had not been trying to save the economy by putting off the inevitable.

I visited the Black and White cafe in Bristol one night, a couple of days after the St Pauls riots. I went with an Ethiopian friend from Bath and I was the only white man in the crowded bar.

At that time it was the safest place to be in Bristol. Why? Because the police were too scared to go there. It stayed a no-go area for sometime afterwards.

That was in 1980, but the next generation of police are still nervous. The Chief Superintendent of Avon and Somerset police was wise not to intervene when they pulled down Edward Colston.

8 comments:

  1. Have you noticed that when the forces of law and order go armed..there is trouble. When they go peaceably..so do the demos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken part in some protests, have written petitions, attended public meetings, have approached the lectern to have my say, if only for a few minutes.

    If i felt any of the meetings or demonstrations i set out to attend were growing violent, I didn't go. Or i'd leave when i felt that atmospheric shift.

    When i was leaving for one meeting, Himself called out just as i opened the door to go out, "I love you. Don't get arrested!"

    I love that man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. 'Stay safe' is not just for lockdown.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your protest memories. Protesting as a young person, I felt less threatened by the police than I do now, interestingly. That could be due in part to the fact that our cops have become more militarized in the past thirty years. They seem as if they are about to go to war when out on the streets facing protesters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We in Britain are never too far away from a policeman with a gun. They need them now, and I trust our armed police more than I trust the ones with truncheons and tasers.

      Delete
  4. To expound a bit more on Bea's paragraph, I, too, felt less threatened as a young protester, and I'm probably twenty or more years older. And the difference between me then and now, is I not longer assume I'm invincible, and our police are militarized. We have a new movement afoot, Defund the Police. No. Just return them to police, send the tools of war back to the military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you defund the police, then the militia will rule the streets. Would you like to live in Iraq or 1980s Lebanon? I know I wouldn't. I respect the police. I want the police. We need the police.

      Delete