Monday 6 April 2020

A luxury we cannot afford

Treating yesterday as a Sunday, we went to the little park near here which H.I. uses for her one hour of exercise. The park is also half way between our house and her daughter's, so there is always the chance of seeing her if our one hour coincides with hers.

I saw her come into the park from the other side and we ended up having a long-distance conversation, during which I sat down on one of the benches. I find it difficult to stand for too long these days. I did suggest we perambulate as we talked, but daughter didn't want to.

In a while, a woman appeared from a different entrance and began shouting at us and a few people who were sitting on the grass about 50 yards away.

She said that the police monitor this park regularly, and if we wanted to continue to visit in the future we should stop behaving as we were - by which I guess she meant keep moving. She finished by telling me that 800 people died yesterday, then gave me a long, hard stare before leaving.

I didn't think that we were doing anything wrong, but obviously we were. Ironically, part of our conversation was complaining about the 3000 people who packed a park in London, forcing the police to close it. It looks as though I was as guilty as them.

19 comments:

  1. She was concerned that if you were seen to be gathering then the whole park would be closed and nobody will be able to walk through it anymore. You come from two different households and should not mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think I couldn't work that out for myself?

      Delete
    2. You final paragraph infers that you didn't or at least not until the woman spoke to you.

      Delete
    3. Implies. Of course I understood that. I was talking about moral duty and I knew that we were not putting ourselves or anyone else in danger by sitting on a bench in a quiet park.

      Delete
    4. Also, standing two metres away from a family member is no worse than a stranger from a different household is it?

      Delete
  2. Any flat dweller must be torn between the need to get out and get some fresh air, and the need to 'do the right thing'. Far easier for those of us with gardens, plenty to do in them at this time of year, and fine weather in which to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can do both if we're sensible - at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Sad.
    Whatever the rights and wrongs about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we must just stick to the letter of the law before it does become law. I know that the park shouldn't be used for sitting around, even if it is empty and won't do any more. I have the workshop, so I don't feel trapped. The funny thing is that I have never liked municipal parks.

      Delete
  4. As the nation was divided into leavers and remainers, we are now divided instead into those that self distance and those that don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank goodness for that. Most people seem to be doing the right thing. A lot of people are completely stressed out by the whole thing and over react I think. Keeping this up for many more weeks will not be easy.

      Delete
    2. I think it could get easier.

      Delete
  6. There's always someone who appoints him/herself head prefect. Rather sad…
    Install Skype and the family can chat in comfort,
    cup of tea in hand, without interruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like Skype. I could never relax.

      Delete
  7. At least I have a garden and on sunny days I can chat over the fence either side to my neighbours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I wouldn't say that Joanne, I think she was just terrified.

      Delete