Sunday 5 January 2020

Something for the weekend


I have been cutting my own hair since I was 15. There is still a lot to cut and I think that I, like my father, will die with a well-carpeted head.

Since I could remember, my father always took me to the same Welsh barber in town, dropping me off with the same instructions - 'the usual' - and picking me up after I had been given the short back and sides.

The barber -whose son was in my class at school - did not like me for some reason. Possibly I seemed like a little English toff in his eyes. He knew where we lived, which was the wealthiest part of the area containing the largest and most expensive houses in an otherwise horribley boring, run-down town. Woking was only one step up from Slough and quite close, geographically.

Every two or three weeks I would be taken to the Welsh barber, and every time - and I mean every time - he would finish the haircut by pulling one ear away from my head to cut into the flesh where it joined it, with the electronic clippers. That was painful enough, but he insisted on using a styptic pencil to stop the blood, and that was excruciating. Every time I was taken to him I would sit in the chair waiting for the fortnightly torture session. It went on for years.

I told my father what he did and that it was deliberate, but he never believed me so I stopped mentioning it. My parents never supported me against adults and I am ashamed to say that they were more than willing to accept the adults' version of events rather than their own son's.

One Saturday morning he was about to take me to the Welsh sadist again, but I flatly refused to go. He said I must and I said I would never go back to that barber again. After about five minutes of this, he understood that the only way I was going to get into the car was by him tying me up and putting me in the boot.

Luckily for everyone involved, my sister had just trained to be a hairdresser, so she took over hair duties until I was old enough to decide for myself what length it should be.

I left home just before I was sixteen, and by that time my hair was well below my ears. Whenever I thought it needed cutting I did it myself. I still do. My hair is easy to cut.

The old-fashioned barbers pole with the red stripe goes back to the days when barbers also let blood. Maybe the Welsh sadist thought he still could.

20 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound to me as though you have changed all that much Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of us do. I am aware of about 50% of what formed me, maybe more.

      Delete
  2. Child abuse ... no wonder you cut your own hair.
    I can’t remember going to have my hair cut as a child but, seeing it was really long, perhaps I didn’t go much. I do remember my mum taking me once to have it cut short .... my dad went mad ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry they didn't believe you.

    I used to use the clippers (kindly) on my own son's head until he was old enough to care a bit more about how he looked! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never wanted neat haircuts so it all worked out for me.

      Delete
  4. I have always cut my husband's hair and still do, but I certainly would never snip his ear - that sounds really sadistic to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if you did snip his ear he would spend the money on a barber thereafter. I would.

      Delete
  5. Some of them really did ask you that - the title. Before the days of machines in toilets with graffiti "buy me and stop one"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horrid man. Even though I have heard the same sort of 'my parents didn't believe me' stories from members of my own extended family, it still sort of shocks to read about such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first started going to the Barber in my small Surrey village. He was OK, but always asked me the same question before I left "Anything for the weekend, Sir?". All those waiting would snigger. It was only years later that I understood why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you had a hard time when your tailor asked you if you dressed to the left or the right as well.

      Delete
  8. Your situation reminds me of one my daughter recently handled with her 5 year old son who was upset about being reprimanded for getting angry at his before/after school care. He said wasn't doing anything wrong. My daughter decided to discretely observe the interaction and found her son was telling the truth. Some older children were setting him up and the provider was not observing it. That evening she and her husband sat down with him to make sure he understood that they believed him and together they came up with things he could do to handle the situation. He knows, however, that his parents will intervene on his behalf if things do not improve. He's happy just knowing they believe him. As you have shown, no small thing for a child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadistic barber. But parents that don't believe their son - plus the bleeding evidence ffs! - even worse. I know the latter from experience

    ReplyDelete