Saturday 30 November 2019

Kevin the Carrot


After forming a massive queue outside some supermarkets, people were actually fighting to buy the limited stock of the soft toy version of Kevin the Carrot - the creature which features in Aldi's Christmas advert (so I am told).

The manager of one store had to impose a limit of one Kevin per person to make sure that entrepreneurs didn't buy up all the stock to sell online at a profit. I am not making this up.

Waitrose's version is a cuddly toy in the shape of a purple dragon, but it doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves in this town - Bath would not let Aldi in.

There's a lot of money to be made from children.

23 comments:

  1. My carrot was called Charlie and I ate him for my lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A toy carrot is possibly Taking the Biscuit?
    Or have I got that saying wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it wrong. It should be, 'taking the piss'.

      Delete
  3. I read it quickly as Kevin the Cunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you, and yet I glanced at Google and am surprised too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that as Push Kevin the Carrot, the first time. I often do that these days. Makes life more interesting, or at least longer, as I figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it makes sense really. They are in a trolley.

      Delete
  6. My friend has a dog called Kevin and he's not edible either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If times get hard and Kevin does have to be eaten, take the advice of Scott of the Antarctic - never eat the liver.

      Delete
  7. I actually think I skimmed an article about this Kevin the Carrot demand. Funny, he doesn't look like a Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just can't make this up! While the country falls apart, people fight over a stuffed carrot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm all for a bit of escapism, but draw the line at soft toys.

      Delete
    2. I've just remembered - I do own some soft toys which I bought when I was in my 50s. There is no hope.

      Delete
  9. Just to put you right......The Waitrose dragon is green ! Called Edgar, and no I haven't bought one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Edgar is it? I'll wait for the sales before I get mine.

      Delete