Friday 13 September 2019

Little domestic mysteries

Life - at the moment - is full of little mysteries.

I am still working on The Case of the Missing Brassiere and The Case of the Little Reaping-Hook, but in the last couple of days I have solved a couple of others.

The afternoon before last, H.I. sent me a message saying that there was another little mystery to solve when I got home.

When I arrived she took me into the living room and pointed at a plant which has been over-spilling the mantle piece for about 40 years. The wall, shelf and floor were covered in what looked like large mouse-droppings and there were bits of fresh leaf lying around too. That much shit would have had to come from at least a dozen mice, so I looked over the small leaves of the plant and found most of them had great patches chewed out of them. Hmm, I thought.

I waited until dark then returned with a torch. When I switched it on there was the culprit. A great, fat caterpillar making no attempt to camouflage itself, travelling up a stem and looking very embarrassed. You would not believe how much shit comes from a single caterpillar in one or two nights. I put it on the kitchen window box to eat the weeds which are doing very well in it, but I have neither seen or heard from it since. It seems to have lost its appetite.

This morning I opened the fridge and found what looked like a pool of blood running out from the bottom and onto the floor. There was no fresh meat in there so I began to work my way up, shelf by shelf, having the clear-out I had promised to do for the last 2 years.

Old jars of goose fat from 3 Christmases ago, cream from months back, 2 boxes of Atora suet from God knows when, 5 opened jars of Thai curry paste - all this and more went into the bin.

Finally I/we got to the freezer box where everything except an unopened bag of cherries was frozen solid. Why had they not frozen and where was the juice coming from?

I worked out that they had not frozen because they had begun to gently rot, creating their own heat from the inside. I also found a tiny pin-prick at the bottom of the plastic bag...

Call me Sherlock...

28 comments:

  1. I think the ice box door had not been properly shut and the cherries defrosted and are watery quickly and then dripped. Your other theory is rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it again. Everything except the cherries were frozen solid. The ice box door self-closes on a spring. Nice try, Watson.

      Delete
    2. I have. I stand by what I said. I have fridge with ice box. Ice can prevent proper closure or straying item. Fruit will defrost quickly and drip whilst other things appear frozen. By the sound of your fridge it probably hasn't been defrosted for years.

      Delete
    3. Wrong again. I would know if the ice box door wasn't closed properly, as you would if you knew our fridge. I defrosted it last week.

      Delete
  2. Satisfying finding out the answers, no doubt! Next on the list: Atlantis and Amelia Earhart. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever has the highest sugar content will defrost first; I think Rachel Holmes is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying that I am not a genius after all? Do I have to apologise to someone who falsely accuses me of not only leaving the ice box door open but also not defrosting the fridge for two years? Too much.

      Delete
  4. Ganging up on you, Tom. I'm with Rachel and Cro on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then how do you explain how the cherries were frozen when they were put into the icebox, but were the only things in it to defrost when I looked in it this morning? I would like someone to explain that for me, rather than immediately accuse me of being a geriatric slattern.

      Delete
  5. We might have to talk about your housekeeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can talk about it amongst yourselves if you like, but leave me out of it. I've got enough people denigrating my life as it is, thank you, without you lot putting in ill-informed opinions which nobody will take any more seriously than mine.

      Delete
    2. I'm just saying that you are not a domestic goddess when you have food items "from God knows when".

      Delete
  6. Not every mystery needs a solution, there are mysteries that will always remain unsolved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It was gremlins who shut down the battery of H.I.'s vape tonight... or was it just her pressing it five times...?

      Delete
  8. The cherries could be a science fair project. Shame you have no child in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Even the grandchildren are adults now.

      Delete
  9. I'll just show my age and lament the waste...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hate waste too. That's why all that stuff spent years in the fridge.

      Delete
  10. Well deduced, Sherlock! Had you kept the caterpillar around you could have wound up with a lovely house butterfly. ;)

    ReplyDelete

  11. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete