Sunday 22 September 2019

Attraction


They are re-running 'Detectorists' on BBC TV right now. I love it, it is very English and charming - a rare combination at the moment.

My fishing magnet is one step (or more) down from metal detecting. If there were a magnet for gold it would send us all crazy.

You have to be quick when salvaging iron. Depending on the depth of water or the acidity of the soil, it can all but disappear within a few hundred years, whereas gold is immutable and unchanging, regardless of time. I know this is mansplaining, but it has to be mentioned.

I have heard that the oceans are awash with gold, but extracting it from the water would cost more than the salvaged gold is worth.

The catalytic converters fitted to car exhausts work by passing the gasses over a fine coating of platinum. Platinum is so expensive that the coating is very fine indeed - maybe no more than a micron or two. Someone has developed a road-sweeping machine which picks up very fine particles such as soot, etc. The dust is then taken to a laboratory where the platinum which has blown out of the convertors is somehow extracted and separated. They actually make money from this!

I love the idea of panning for gold in Wales or Scotland (on my own - not like the photo!), but I am pretty sure I will never do it. All these pastimes turn you mad eventually.

12 comments:

  1. My daughter's husband is a very fine goldsmith, and every few years the carpet underneath where he worked (he doesn't do it any more) was sent away to be extracted of all the fine gold dust. It made a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a Brinks Matt robbery town. I knew some of the villains.

      Delete
  2. Do you not like a bit of company when you’re panning ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither panning nor mushrooming. I can just about tolerate company when drinking.

      Delete
  3. And standing in the water makes your feet cold - don't forget that. Didn't realise you were anti social.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much enjoyed that show. What a talented bunch of actors! The 3rd series just showed up on our streaming services, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, the Detectorists! I have seen the series, and I absolutely loved it. Some of the characters are a little bit dense but in such a charming way that I want to be BFFs with all of them!

    ReplyDelete