Saturday 22 June 2019

Shop early for Christmas


I know it is a little early to start talking about Christmas (and I hereby claim the dubious honour to be the first this year), but here is a sneak preview of my decorative plans for the 25th.

The above is a tube full of little paper lantern lights (£1.50 at a charity shop) which are miniature versions of the large one hanging in this room which John Gray admires so much, having caught a glimpse of it when I have taken selfies. You can still buy them John - it's not too late.

Before I hang them in a graceful arc over the central window I am facing now, I am going to paint them in the colours of the lanterns I remember from the Christmas Rupert Annuals of my childhood. I am childishly excited by this prospect. How many sleeps are there before the big day?

H.I. sees herself as the colourist of the household (and rightly so - she has thought of little else since childhood) and I normally concede to her tastes in all matters concerning colour and the application thereof, but in this case I put my foot down.

"I think they would be better left plain white," she said.

Trying to control my quivering bottom lip, I responded as forcefully as I could under the circumstances, saying that - in this instance - I insisted being allowed to colour them in whatever way  I thought appropriate for Christmas.

She looked at me for a moment and, not wishing to further hurt my feelings (which were in an advanced state of regression at the time), she said 'ok but they have to be the colours from the old Rupert books, not the garish, post 1980 new ones'. As if I would! I let this slur go for the time being and wiped the tears from my eyes. A feint smile replaced the quivering lip.

In the past, I have considered introducing some good pieces of brown furniture into our compact but adorable city apartment, but always thought better of it.

23 comments:

  1. My favourite Rupert story concerned his ill mother. Dr Lion suggested to Rupert that she needed sunlight, so he went off on his adventures and filled several jars with sunlight. His mother was soon cured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that one. He got the bottled sunlight from the old professor who lived in the top of that tower didn't he? I seem to remember that the machine used was a massive dish which terminated in a sort of still which liquified the light into something like Golden Syrup. That was the professor who accidentally turned the seasons back to front with another invention.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet softie you are. I have tiny faded accordion Chinese lanterns that had some kind of little lights in them long ago. They are tucked all around my bedroom. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lights and glitter is not just for Christmas...

      Delete
  3. Looking at it earlier on my phone I thought it was legs in stockings and a skimpy piece of underwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been squinting my eyes at it ever since.

      Delete
  4. Stockings looked at by the back, Rachel?
    I will look up the Christmas Rupert Annuals - I thought I knew almost every English children book - but here I erred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you said that you have never heard of Rupert here in Britain they would think you were a German spy.

      Delete
    2. Mata Hari is my middle name, Tom! Maar dat is heel geheim! (she was a Dutch dancer and a spy)

      Delete
    3. 'But that is very secret'? I'm training to be a Dutch spy. Language acquisition is key. :D

      Delete
  5. Before I enlarged the picture, I thought that it is a string of pearls.

    And about the “quivering bottom lip” - as they said on the Great British Baking Show: “Get a grip, get a ruddy grip!” 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. A feint smile indeed. You knew what you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, fun, fun! Rupert Annuals didn't feature chez nous but I adored that Singer Sargent painting of the girls hanging paper lanterns in a garden. It was a frontispiece for a book on art my mum had as a child.

    There are only 6 months 'til Xmas so I'm trying to skill up ahead of time with a bit of Craft in this corner of the globe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also going to say, that looking at the picture on my blog feed, before opening it up and making it larger, I thought it was a tiny string of pearls in an open hand.
    As a non-Rupert gal, I will ask... what colours ARE the original Christmas Rupert colours? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete