Sunday 19 May 2019

The future is yellow


Didn't we do well in the Eurovision Song Contest? Do you think they are trying to tell us something about Brexit? The English entrant took coming last in very good spirit, saying that he suspected the result had something to do with politics. I think he could be right.

The MEP elections are coming up this week. More humiliation. I don't want to vote for any of them, but I suppose I must if only to keep Farage and his hideous progeny out of the picture.

It has taken me months to realise that the yellow stickers you find popping up everywhere saying BOLLOCKS TO BREXIT are actually the official campaign slogan of the Liberal Democrat party. It defies belief.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but why come up with a catchy slogan which cannot be said on national media before the 9.00 pm watershed?

9 comments:

  1. The Sex Pistols album, "Never Mind the Bollocks" was ruled not to be obscene. The judge is quoted as saying "Much as my colleagues and I wholeheartedly deplore the vulgar exploitation of the worst instincts of human nature for the purchases of commercial profits by both you and your company, we must reluctantly find you not guilty of each of the four charges." I don't agree. I wholeheartedly approve of the LibDem use. The worst instincts of human nature seem to be on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I suppose what is doing more damage is positioning your party as one that is set on remaining no matter what. It is putting itself in direct and inflexible opposition to the other half of the country who voted to leave and who will feel very angry indeed if their votes counted for nothing.

      If another referendum is called for to respond to the situation as it turns out to be three years down the line, that is a different matter.

      Delete
  2. I don't watch the Eurovision Song Contest, and can't understand why we continue to enter especially when we come in last or very near to the bottom.
    However, for those countries that do win it appears to be a rather short lived experience as you never hear of their singer or song again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently us Brits don't take it seriously enough to win. We - quite rightly - treat it as a camp spectacle only suitable for gay piss-ups in public.

      Delete
  3. Vince Cable did mention the slogan on the Marr show this morning. Marr refused to, but Cable was very brave! As for the effing singing competition, I couldn't give a XXXX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bollocks" is really such an obscenity over there? Seriously?

    It just sounds kind of silly to my ears, but then, it's not in use here so what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a few years ago, but not now. The BBC says much worse.

      Delete