Saturday 9 February 2019

Gold


I spent a couple of days this week working in a church. High above me, an all-women team of gold-leafers were guilding some ornamental features on the ceiling.

The little church was filled with a gigantic scaffold which blocked the small amount of natural light, so strings of site lights dangled everywhere, casting the recesses into gloomy shadows.

As the guilders walked about at the top, small fragments of pure gold floated gently down through the lights, looking like the beginning of a golden snow storm.

They are very careful to use as little gold as possible when making gold leaf, so the heavy metal is beaten so thin that discarded pieces fall exactly like snowflakes. Outside in the rain there was a puddle of water which had quite a lot of gold leaf fragments floating - yes, floating - on the surface, and the wind blew these bits around like leaves. I suppose this is one of the reasons they call it gold leaf. Breathe on a book of gold leaf and you ruin it.

I once ate an Indian milk pudding which had a topping of pure gold leaf. The spoon did not even notice it as you put it through. Eating small amounts of gold is supposed to be good for you, so I have heard.

Before the war, there was a section of the London Underground which was devoted exclusively to the making of gold wire. A little bar of pure gold was clamped between two small but powerful locomotives facing opposite directions on the track. The engines just took off at a slow speed, making one mile of fine gold wire. It was as simple as that.

Every now and then I have the desire to go to Wales or Scotland, buy a licence and pan for gold in a shallow, fast-running stream. With a bit of luck I could find a little nugget which would pay for the holiday.

26 comments:

  1. I've eaten a dessert with edible gold leaf ..... I don't think it tasted of much... just looked pretty. ! I tried to do a bit of gold leaf once but it is very difficult. I think I've got a couple of old gold inlays upstairs that I had in my teeth ... you could have them but I don't think that they would even get you on a day trip to Southend ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up a bit of gold yesterday and rubbed it between finger and thumb. It just disappeared. So you would have your teeth extracted to pay for my holiday? That's what I call devotion.

      Delete
    2. I’m not quite that devoted !!! I had a couple of crowns done on two back teeth that had gold inlays in them and they gave the gold back to me ..... I don’t think they are worth much so I wouldn’t be giving much up and you wouldn’t have much of s holiday on them ! XXXX

      Delete
    3. Fuck gold puddings
      You can't beat a sherry trifle

      Delete
    4. Agreed but I would gladly swap a sherry trifle for an ounce of gold.

      Delete
  2. My son-in-law was a highly sought-after goldsmith, as is his father still. He told me that every so often the carpet in their workshop was sent away to be cleaned of all the shavings, dust, and leaf, that fell to the floor. The sweepings would always make a good-sized ingot.

    Didn't they say that Copper wire was invented to two Scotsmen fighting over a halfpenny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always like that image of the two Jocks and the halfpenny.

      Delete
  3. I prefer my gold leaf on works of art such as you mention rather than on my food. You can only eat the 24 - 22carat gold as the lower carats have impurities in them and are not safe.
    I have even seen it being advertised as being gluten free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Raine Spencer had really bright gold leaf put on everything at Althorp House when she married Diana’s dad ..... it looked ghastly ..... it has to be done with care I think. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gold flakes drifting down like snow is quite the mental image. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it looked like. Actually it fell even slower than snow. Snow is heavier.

      Delete
  6. My first husband used to do a lot of gilding with gold leaf on places like windows and glass doors - initials, names etc. I seem to remember that the leaf was so light that if anyone opened a door while he was doing it the gold would lift into the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Some people wear masks to prevent breathing on it.

      Delete
  7. Since I gave up sugar I have a bowl of gold leaf instead. It looks so nice on the table too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skeptic that I am, I have googled drawing gold wire between two locomotives. Perhaps the problem is "small but powerful", since gold is soft-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It heats itself as it stretches.

      Delete
    2. My source is 'London - Stranger than Fiction'. A yellow book dating from around 1960.

      Delete
    3. OK. I cannot visualize it, so now I'm on to glass eels. Cannot figure the problem out, either. Oh, dear.

      Delete
  9. I am taking on the John Gray style of responding to comments. If I can't be arsed, I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should qualify this by saying that I might not respond to comments which pose no question, unless I want to boost the ratings. All the ones above are statements.

      Delete
  10. why did it need two locomotives? Anchor your ingot at one end and let one loco pull on the other? Seems like an urban myth.

    You could take up your "panning for gold" dream by going back to those puddles outside that church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. The last time I read it I was a kid, so it probably only had one engine as you describe. Panning for that gold would be even more futile than going to Wales.

      Delete
  11. If you want a specific size of gold wire you need to draw it through a die, natural diamond is the best, far smoother than synthetic diamond, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete