Saturday 19 January 2019

They know, you know


The house I was brought up in had a long, dark corridor between the kitchen and the entrance hall which was exclusively for the servants.

We had a big old cat whose name I will not tell you, because it forms part of a series of security questions used by several banks to verify that I am who I say I am - i.e. not Tom Stephenson.

Damn, I have just remembered that my estranged brother has been known to read this blog and he not only knows my real name but also the name of our long-dead cat. I am going to have to change the childhood pet's name answer to the security question to stop him from stealing even more of my overdraft than he already has. I might as well name the bloody cat.

During the Winter months like these, Prudence (there used to be a children's book character called Prudence Kitten) would suddenly revert to kittenism and charge up and down the servants' corridor as if her arse was on fire.

When we heard this manic skittering of her claws against the polished linoleum, we knew it meant only one thing. Within an hour or two, it would snow.

She never failed. These rare episodes of explosive and pointless energy bursts would always be followed by snowfall.

One Winter morning I came down to the kitchen to find my mother sitting at the table, dabbing her red-rimmed eyes with a handkerchief. She wordlessly pointed to the shabby cardboard box which served as a bed for Prudence (my father was a thrifty man to say the least) and I saw the ridged body of the old cat lying on the fur-covered blanked, frozen with paws outstretched. She didn't look as though she was asleep. She looked dead.

When my mother did speak, she said, "How are we going to know when to expect snow now?"

Actually, she didn't say that at all. I thought it would be a good end to this aimless story.

10 comments:

  1. In a book on how to better understand your cat, it describes "vacuum behaviour" which is when your otherwise calm animal suddenly races around for no particular reason. It has to do with lack of outside stimuli. This happens more to cats who do no have the opportunity to go outside. (Not that I'm doubting the snow connection, we had a dog that in retrospect acted very strange before a tornado). The name Prudence makes me think of a Beatles song, Dear Prudence. That must have been traumatic to see your pet like that in the end. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think of how much money has been made by people who have to come up with fresh theories to write yet another book on understanding your cat, I think I would prefer to trust what I actually know and observe rather than unquestioningly taking on someone else's latest thesis. I don't remember seeing dead Prudence as being traumatic. Pets help to get children accustomed to the inevitability of death - or so I read in some book on child psychology...

      Delete
  2. My cats were telling me last night that there is full moon this weekend and lunar eclipse. They know you know. They pick it up off their mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKED dead? Well was she dead or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cat, who sleeps all day, often goes bat shit crazy at night, bouncing off furniture, crumpling throw rugs, distributing toys, and especially tearing feathers off toys with feathers. Especially in summer I have not noticed snow. We are in the midst of that heavy storm, and he slept in Laura's bed all night. That must be the difference between English cats and American. Ours are as dumb as Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst insult to cats I have ever heard.

      Delete
  5. My late cat (he died just before Christmas) used to spend the night weaving spiders webs under all the chairs, spreading dog hairs all over the house, and stuffing dust into all inaccessible corners. At least I presume it was him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you convert him into a mop after his sad demise?

      Delete