Monday 7 January 2019

Happy Monday


Today - which is considered to be the most depressing one in the English calendar - I leave the house for reasons of work for the first time since last year.

I have noticed recently that when I am lying in bed half asleep, I often forget to breathe. Maybe I am practicing for the big event.

When I first began driving cars, I would concentrate so hard that I would forget to breathe for quite long periods of time. That probably isn't very good for concentration if kept up too long.

I used to be able to hold my breath for a very long time (in relation to holding your breath). I would have made a good pearl-fisher if only I had learned to swim.

A friend of mine had a medical check-up recently, and they told him that he has abnormally large lungs. He is around 40 years old and is a general builder. He works at weekends blowing up balloons for children's parties.

Actually, I made the very last bit up but everything else is true. Happy Monday.

20 comments:

  1. I have just learnt that it's Plough Monday, so the tradition must have started to put a bit of a spark into the Most Depressing Day.

    There's a pearl fishing town on the edge of the desert in remote NW Australia called Broome (where we winter holidayed for some years) that has an old cemetery for the Japanese pearl divers who died working there. Swimming was an optional skill in the Olden Days as the diving suit weighed a tonne and you basically walked on the sea floor, so I guess the biggest issue was just to be brave. Lots of sharks and cyclones gave the whole career a certain je ne sais quoi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you've convinced me. I will never be a pearl fisher.

      Delete
  2. Ghosts, forgetting to breathe. What next, Wizards and Harry Potter in your bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Berlin the day does everything to fulfil your description - the sky is leaden (though a bit yellow - we fear that colour), and the people on our two airports are on strike, so one cannot think of flying away :-)
    Nothing breath-taking today; so we can follow your example and try to hold it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha! I knew you made up some of your stories! Are you as good at lying face to face?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two words should never go together in same sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling rather sad today.....too sad........perhaps it is a depressing day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. John, he means it in the nicest possible way, I'm sure.

      Delete
    3. I do indeed. I just have a big mouth, that's all.

      Delete
    4. Second thoughts, delete it as being a little insensitive.

      Delete
  7. Happy Monday aka my father's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freezing rain here and loss of power for a bit. Yup, it's depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see there was good reason not to add my comment yesterday.

    ReplyDelete