Sunday 4 November 2018

To gape or not to gape


I am thinking of buying one of these Moroccan Winter Jelabas to wear around the house as a dressing gown. What do you reckon?

They are made from a wool felt and were meant for outdoor use, but I still retain a degree of self respect so It would remain indoors where I can look like a twat in the privacy of my own home.

I could not bring myself to wear a satin dressing gown of the sort favoured by Sherlock Holmes - even indoors - but I sometimes find myself hankering for a hooded towelling one which nobody but H.I. would bat an eyelid about. The trouble with things labelled 'dressing gowns' is that they have no buttons, just a belt which you are supposed to tie around your waist to minimise the danger of exposing yourself through the front of your pyjamas  - which have no zip. The things above are just pulled over your head.

I had a young friend who I once - somehow - got into a conversation with about mens underpants. She said she preferred boxer shorts. Since she didn't wear mens underwear I asked her why, and she said "Because they gape"

My mind was in a whirl...

29 comments:

  1. If it is no gape you are after then one of these is your answer. You will be able to grope your way up from the bottom instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has slit pockets. I could just fumble about as usual.

      Delete
  2. Very Alec Guinness (. May the force be with you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one in black. It is quite heavy, very warm, and serves as a Mad Monk outfit for Halloween. It would suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say i really rather fancy one too - where would I buy it - and let's face it a bit of gape is neither here nor there for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes difficult to avoid. If you want one I'll send you a link Weave.

      Delete
  5. I think you should get one in black .... and, could we have a photograph of you modelling it .... pretty please ?! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one in a peculiar green. While sold to me as wool, I discovered upon wearing it that although warm, the static electricity it generates proves otherwise! It is, nonetheless, extremely handy for throwing on when you need to look like you're dressed for the day - a robe will just say you haven't got out of your pj's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If mine isn't wool, it's going straight back. I don't want to be shrink-wrapped in a fire.

      Delete
    2. 'Shrink-wrapped in a fire' made me laugh out loud.

      Delete
  7. Best not go to the door in it, you might be mistaken for an illegal immigrant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love them - and they look warm!
    Had I but known - I just bought a thick long wool cardigan with a hood - for the hours when I sit at my desk in the bay window room.
    Yours looks so wonderful Balzac-ish! (Though: his dressing gown had a gap, I think.)
    To your beautiful hair you should choose black - and as I see in your comments: you have?

    And as dear Emily Dickinson said to a gap:

    To fill a Gap
    Insert the Thing that caused it—
    Block it up
    With Other—and 'twill yawn the more—
    You cannot solder an Abyss
    With Air.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I imagine it might be itchy? hope not......would you wear it over something or not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pyjamas !
    Do people still buy and wear them. I thought that they had gone out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear them, but I do own a very 1930s pair which I must dig out and wear for the Winter.

      Delete
  11. Hello Obi-Wan!
    I am pretty bald and in cold weather, around the house and working in the garage, I wear an embroidered skull cap (what the Victorians called a smoking cap). I think your gaping jelaba looks good but might be a hazard for me when working with electrical tools like grinders and drills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of those embroidered hats when I mentioned the Sherlock dressing gown. I can never work out why you had to dress head to foot in decorated satin in order to smoke. Stylish though. I would wear hats more often if it were not that I have a very thick head of hair. I don't intend to operate machinery in the robe.

      Delete
    2. These robes are not flowing. In fact would be less dangerous when using drills and grinders than a gaping flap

      Delete